I JUST KILLED MY TRANNY!!!!

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
yep, thats right. i just killed my torqshift.

was doin something that i have done probably 30 to 40 times.

put 'er in 4WD high, let it build upto 15 to 20 lbs of boost and then let 'er rip.

the only probably is that the tranny RIPPED -mad

went straight to the ford dealer and he put it right on the rack.

the smell was terrible, he pulled the codes (which i cant remember, but it wasn't good) the tranny is basically stuck in drive in all gear shift positions.

he drained the fluid and there was fine metal shavings all in the pan.

i just cost myself about 3500.00 worth of repairs. was it worth it? NO!!!

i will never do it again. don't really know if what i did killed it, or if it was about to go anyways, but i have never had any troubles before with it.

I DO TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY ACTIONS!!!

the wife came to pick me up and when i told her, she just smiled and shook her head.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
bama-six-gun said:
yep, thats right. i just killed my torqshift.

was doin something that i have done probably 30 to 40 times.

put 'er in 4WD high, let it build upto 15 to 20 lbs of boost and then let 'er rip.

the only probably is that the tranny RIPPED -mad

went straight to the ford dealer and he put it right on the rack.

the smell was terrible, he pulled the codes (which i cant remember, but it wasn't good) the tranny is basically stuck in drive in all gear shift positions.

he drained the fluid and there was fine metal shavings all in the pan.

i just cost myself about 3500.00 worth of repairs. was it worth it? NO!!!

i will never do it again. don't really know if what i did killed it, or if it was about to go anyways, but i have never had any troubles before with it.

I DO TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY ACTIONS!!!

the wife came to pick me up and when i told her, she just smiled and shook her head.

Sorry to hear it Bama................I know its gotta hurt!!! -mad

Tbar

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Tbar said:
Sorry to hear it Bama................I know its gotta hurt!!! -mad

Tbar

it don't feel good, thats for sure. but i only have ME to blame.

really gonna be hard to part with the money, since business has been slow the past month.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We play, WE pay. OUCH! Now have you got the heart to tell the kids that Santa won't be coming this year.. LOL

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bummer...i dont launch very hard but if im @ a light in the rain
and i know its gonna be a race to the 2 to 1 lane narrowing...
ill put it in 4wd high...i dont pre-stage or build boost more than
3 or 5lbs (if i even bother doing that)...

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
WD40 said:
We play, WE pay. OUCH! Now have you got the heart to tell the kids that Santa won't be coming this year.. LOL

the worst of it is, i wasnt even racing anybody, just doin some test launching on a 2 lane country road, like i have done a bunch of times. been wanting to go to the local drag strip to see what my 1/4 times would be, guess i wont be doing that anytime soon. even when the new tranny is put it.

its time to grow up alittle i guess. too bad it will take over 3 grand to learn that lesson.:(

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I'm glad your taking responsibility. Some others would lie to Ford, get caught and still whine about it. Sorry the lesson was so expensive.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
bama-six-gun said:
its time to grow up alittle i guess. too bad it will take over 3 grand to learn that lesson.:(

Or get a tranny and torque converter that can handle it!:D

If you could wait, my first recommendation Brian's Truck Shop but their website doesn't mention the 5R110. Next would be ATS...http://www.atsdiesel.com/ATSWebsite/ProductsFord/Transmissions.asp seems fairly reasonable for a built tranny but I'm not an auto guy.:tounge

Suncoast is another choice but again I don't know if they offer your tranny. But I personally wouldn't go back stock.:sly

JustMeandMyZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the news there, Bama. Of what I have read in these posts is that you put the truck in 4WD on pavement. Doesn't that mess up the driveline? At least that is what the manual says. I thought doing that was a no-no. And on the drag strip? Dang!!! Somebody needs to explain to me how this works and to what advantage. And, do you need to lock the hubs when you do this? Sounds interesting. Something I would look into doing, to a certain extent, of course. Learn something new everyday.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58