i scratched it

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
Well, I found out the hard way that my truck was too tall.... sign said 6'8", but it seems that it sits at 6'9"...:cussing:
We went to LV for the CES convention, and I pulled into the parking area with the heard of others. The height sign was about 30 feet into the structure, apparently the sign at the entrance was taken out recently...
Lucky for me it was a suspended sign, and not the concrete. It dragged across the roofs ribs pretty badly and left some deep marks. Havent had the desire to look too closely yet to see how deep the gouges are.
Any good restore products out there?
Guess it's better that being hit by another car

Reaction score
At least it's on the roof where most will not notice. If it was mine I'd do this: compound the whole area and then use some extra fine wet/sand paper on the area's that don't come clean. After that polish it up and see how it looks. If the paint is gone down to the primer - I'd buy the paint myself and touch it with a detail gun. Course this is all just cause it's up on the roof area.

Ron

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
OUCH
sounds like our VA hospital in Birmingham, got scratches all over the roof beam, some are orange from clearance lights. i fit but just by a smiggin
to bad you scraped, its a god awful noise, then people look and :roflmao :roflmao
hope it buffs out

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I have to say that the first time I drove my truck into the deck here I was hanging out the window to see if I was going to scrape. I'm in the clear by 3/16"

My uncle did the same thing when my cousin's first kid was born @ the hospital, she's 6 now and he's alwasy lifting her up and showing her the roof of his truck and calls them Kaya marks.

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
thanks guys, guess this is one time that my avatar rightfully applies to me.
crumm - thanks for the link, i'll check into some of that stuff after this weekend, after i go to the dealer and get some touch up paint too.

the frustrating part of the whole experience was trying to back out of the structure with no one in the masses letting me out. i got called 'number one' a few times too :sweet when i 'insisted' :D that i was backing up.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your scratch. It's a shame the parking garages aren't built for our trucks. A couple of years ago, we were at the Convention Center in New Orleans. The first time I parked, I was lucky enough to park in an open lot, the next several times, I had to go into the garage. I was reallly sweating it going into and out of it. Same thing the year before at the Convention Center in San Antonio. We were at the same medical convention (11/02 in SA, 11/03 in NO). It always makes me feel good to see a 350 4WD or Dually in a garage when I'm hunting for a space. I always feel that if they made it in there, I can too.

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
woohoo

we finaly had a break in the weather (and work). I checked the roof and found only surface paint from the sign and some minor scuff marks !!!
Took some cleaner and wax and was able to get almost all of it off. that will keep things good until spring wax/detail.
No bare metal :thumbs

Thanks for letting me vent about my stupidity. I felt like a lemming going into that parking structure.
I'll try not to have another, as my wife says... 'blond moment' for a while

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim