I Think I May Have Injector Troubles?

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I will do my best to describe what is goin' on. Let me say first off, I have not scanned for codes and I have no way to do it personally. My tech friend at the dealer is gonna come to the house to scan it for me tomorrow I hope.

Thats right, the truck will not budge. Starting in the AM has been kinda tuff the last 2 or 3 mornings. Yesterday, it took about 5 times just to get it to turnover, and when it finally did, it would buck when I touched the accelerater while going down the highway. It did eventually smooth out, so I thought no problems.

This moring, it would not do squat.:rant So I said to myself, Self, its a little chili, so maybe you need to plug her up. So I did, no change.

The whole time I am tryin to get it started, it was puffin pure black smoke. When I finally got it to crank and stay at idle and I would try to give it some fuel, it would puff more black smoke and then it would die on me.

Service manager told me that it "might" be the EGR valve. But I told him that my SCT deletes the EGR, so that couldnt be it. Well, I removed it and cleaned it anyway (it was a good maintenence exp. for me anyways)

Still no change, but i wasnt expecting any anyways.

I ask Ben who is a tech at the same dealership if he thought I might have an injector going bad, he said that sounds like the problem to him.

Well, sorry for the long post. Any ideas? Help please! Thanks :thumbs

dpantazis

Reaction score
go directly to the dealer- do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not pick up community chest.

dija check the oil? smell like diesel?

might have a leaking injector o-ring?

dija check the intake for FOD (polishing rags)? :p

hope its not bad.

dp

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
go directly to the dealer- do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not pick up community chest.
I cant get the truck to move and I aint paying no wrecker to come tow it less than a mile.

No I have not checked the oil. If I smell diesel, what does that tell me?

That also crossed my mind and I mentioned that to Ben too.

no rags or other debris, I have been driving it for almost 2,000 miles

hope its not bad.

dp

Remember and please be gentle. There are some things I know how to do, and others that I have no clue on.

Also, the engine/head gasket job has less than 2000 miles on it since that was done, and all the fluids are new.

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I guess its true chrome won't get ya home LOL sorry man don't mean to be poking fun just couldn't pass up the opertunity wish I could help but I'm from the cave man era

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It sounds like fuel delivery to me, Bama. The black smoke is over-fueling just off idle. Injecter or FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module). Good Luck Bama...

Dave

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

hope its not bad.

dp
Bama- if you smell diesel in the oil it means you have an "O" ring on an injector leaking, or a tip from an injector is open(burned off) and overfueling causing the fuel to wash past the rings and into the oil pan. If your getting fuel in the pan, it will "make oil" which means the oil level is over full because of the fuel. Either way its not good...hope this sheds some light on the earlier questions...

dpantazis

Reaction score
bama-

sorry if i seemed hard on you. my smiley did not come through either :p ??

check the oil, see if the level is high, or if it smells diesely, if so, you may have a leaking injector.

dp

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
well I guess its true chrome won't get ya home LOL sorry man don't mean to be poking fun just couldn't pass up the opertunity wish I could help but I'm from the cave man era

OH it got me home alright, cause thats where it is, just sitting out in the driveway looking all shiney

but no go go :confused:

OK, I just went out side and checked the oil. The level seems to be ok, but I do smell diesel fuel on the distick.

I do remember a strong smell of diesel when I stopped to fill-er-up yesterday.

Last edited:

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Sounds like either a cut injector o-ring (cut when the injector was installed 2,000 miles ago) or, an injector stuck wide open.
Either one would drain the fuel rails down, causing hard to start till the air all was purged out. The black smoke would be from a cylinder full of fuel.
Did you mean that it was also hard to turn over on start? If so, it could be from all the fuel in the cylinder (fuel does not compress).
I'd sniff the oil, and also check for over full, if the fuel leak was that bad, you'd notice the fuel smell in the oil...
How high were you running the fuel pressure (or did you have a gauge installed on the regulator)?
Hope you get it figured out soon, keep us posted... ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58