IDI 7.3 Ford Diesel Fuel filter

turbodrabbit

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a question or two about changing the fuel filter on my 93 F350. I pulled the old filter off and filled it up about half way with fuel, and screwed it back on. Tried to crank it until I fried the starter selenoid. I am replacing that tomorrow, but how do I get it started? Do I have air in the lines now, should I have filled it to the top. Also the filter I put on is different than the one I took off. The old filter was a fram and it had a metal cap on the end with a bleeder and place for a ground of some sort to attach to. The metal cap has international stamped on it. My new filter doesnt have this, and I cant figure out how to get it off the old one. I am at a loss, i thought that this would be relatively simple.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Yea, You probably have air in the lines.

This is the normal procedure to follow when changing the fuel filter.

I pulled this off another site! :rolleyes:

The fuel filter is pretty basic, but in order to make it easier to prime the pump, drive the truck until the engine is warm. Then have a quart of fresh diesel fuel available to fill the new filter partially prior to screwing the new one in place. Fill it via the outer holes so as to ensure clean fuel is filtered for your injection pump to last longer. You know about the sensor and heater wires on the filter that need to be detached prior to unscrewing and replacing filter, if you have them, I hope. Does your new filter have a seal on the top AND bottom like original equipment, or does it have the one piece design that doesnt need the screw on bottom of the filter assembly.

Let me know if ya need any more help.

turbodrabbit

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So what do I do now that their is air in the lines? And my new filter doesnt have the hookup for the sensor and heater wire that I do have. I am getting the starter in tomorrow, just would be nice to hear this thing run.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Loosen the fuel lines at the injectors. Now crank the engine over in short burst until until you see fuel.Tighten the lines. It should start.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Loosen the schrader Valve (the tire valve) on top of the filter and crank the starter. This will let most of the air out of the filter container. You can then go and loosen each of the fuel lines to the injectors, once you get it to run.

Dave :thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58