If you are WAITING to change your FUEL FILTERS...

JIM_C

Turbo Lover
Reaction score
Do NOT wait another minute!! I changed mine today for the first time (21k; I know that's dumb to wait that long). They were BLACK! The engine-mounted filter left coffee ground-like residue on my fingers at the slightest touch.
The job only takes about 30 minutes; next time will take me less because I'll get a 1/2" drive ratchet to get the frame-mounted cover off faster. Park the truck angled nose-down and you won't take (as much) of a diesel bath. Glad I got it done; I'm NOT waiting that long again!!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
What is the recommended service interval on fuel filters? 10K? I know I could look it up but maybe you know off the top of your head.

JIM_C

Turbo Lover
Reaction score
Yes, the recommended change interval is 15k. This was the first time I'd drained the HFCM too - don't let it happen to you!!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
ChrisMartinTX said:
how oftem do ya'll drain water?

I've done it once in 45K............. then chased a fuel leak for a day until I figured out the drain valve was "over closed":rolleyes:

_CH_

Nautiques Freak
Reaction score
once in 45k? WOW
i drain about once every 6 or 8 weeks even tho i dont need it.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
How often you have to change your filter and drain the water all depends on where you get your fuel. If you fuel at a reputable truck stop that sells a high quantity of fuel you are less likely to get water. If you fuel up where they have a good filter system on the pump you will be less likely to get dirt and other foreign debris.

I change my filters very often (5-10K)just to be safe but I buy them in quantity fairly cheap. I have heard that the 6.0 filters are expensive so you would not want to get carried away like me.

JIM_C

Turbo Lover
Reaction score
Who is Dale? Do we have a site sponsor that sells filters? I just emailed filter1 for a quote on all the 6.0 filters.

On edit: nevermind; I realized you must mean Dale Lakin. I'll check out powerstrokeshop.com.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I start thinking about, intending to change at 10K - normally get it done by 12-13K. Have one sitting on the bench now that will get installed this weekend - just at about the 13.5K mark.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr