Help Needed Ignition Stuck!

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
Okay, so it could be A LOT worse, but I need to fix this before I have to file an insurance claim to replace my truck when it gets stolen!!!

The key is stuck in the ignition in my 2002 Excursion PSD, and the ignition will only switch between the 3 (off), 4 (run) and 5 (start) positions. It will NOT rotate back to the 2 (lock) or 1 (accessory) positions. Which means I can start and drive the beast, but I can't take the key out after turning it off. Ford trucks have been the primary target around my town lately, and a good 7.3 PSD Excursion is hard to replace!

I've searched the forums here, and came up with explanations for late 80's trucks, and one for my series, but none of the pictures would display on Firefox or IE.

I bought a new ignition assembly from O'Reilly. I know that I'm lucky in that the ignition has to be in the 4 (run) position to pull it out. But before the locksmith appointment tomorrow to re-key the new ignition, and reprogram the ignition to recognize my keys, I want to make sure I'm on the right track. Seems that quite a few have had similar problems, so I'd hate to just throw parts at it. After all, I'm not the dealer!

Thanks in advance!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes the lock needs to be replaced. Something inside the lock is broken and jamming the key from rotating to the ACC position or the LOCK position. Changing the lock is better than replacing your truck anyday.

Dave

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
Well, that would be the easy fix, and why would I want the easy fix?

I put the new lock/cylinder assembly in this morning, and it does the same thing, refusing to turn to the #2 or #1 positions. From the diagram I saw at the parts store, it looked like the lock assembly inserts into a harness that then signals what position the ignition switch is in? That doesn't seem like it would block the ignition from twisting.

Help?

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much does a a ton of labor cost these days? LOL Sorry to hear you couldn't fix it yourself.
Doug

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
3 hours of labor, $90/hour. OUCH!

Then I thought about the fact that if it took them 3 hours, it would have taken me at least 9 hours. I didn't have 9 hours...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58