Noob in the market.....have questions

tool8ulost

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hi all,
im in the market for my first SD, and have never owned a diesel before, 1 question i have mainly, how many miles is too many when purchasing a used diesel? ive come to the understanding that the 7.3's had less problems than the 6.0, with that being said, what are the pros & cons of each? what kind of fuel economy do you typically see out of a unmolested turbo diesel?

ill think of more questions, but these are the ones that i keep circulating around, thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The 7.3 is the old workhorse of Ford's diesel trucks. It has a great reputation, but it's design is dated. The 6.0 is the first in the line of "New diesel engines". It has 4 valves per cylinder and a variable vane turbocharger. On the down side is the EGR system that needs maintenance and the cylinder head bolts, which won't take the added horsepower of a good tuner. You can add head STUDS if you want to add horsepower and reliability. Or you can run stock and you should be good for some time. I have a 6.0 with almost 120,000 miles and I have had to start to replace parts, like one injector and the FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module). I can get 17 mpg driving the freeways and around town, and watching my right foot. If you get on it, the mileage goes down. My engine is completely stock with the addition of gauges, which every diesel engine should have. The factory gauges are not real gauges, but dials that the computer runs, depending on how if feels. The oil gauge never moves and there is no boost gauge. I have added an EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) and boost gauges.

This should give you something to chew on. If you have any questions, just ask!! Oh, and welcome to SDD!

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi all,
im in the market for my first SD, and have never owned a diesel before, 1 question i have mainly, how many miles is too many when purchasing a used diesel? ive come to the understanding that the 7.3's had less problems than the 6.0, with that being said, what are the pros & cons of each? what kind of fuel economy do you typically see out of a unmolested turbo diesel?

ill think of more questions, but these are the ones that i keep circulating around, thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

Hi Jim and WELCOME to SDD ;tu

If I were to put a number to it, I would say: Anything under 200K miles on the clock would be worth looking at.. but these PSD's are typically good for 350,000 miles... It's ALL ABOUT Maintenance...

The 7.3 was and is a good engine, but stock, was a bit underpowered for some uses. EPA things made Ford/IH go to the 6.0, which had some issues in the beginning.. but most have been addressed by now, like Head Gaskets, EGR issues. Both, are very good diesel engines, if properly maintained.

MPG's ? Very controversial. The "Your Mileage May Vary" comes into play here.. but they both typically get 12 to18+, MPG.. depending solely.. on Your right foot ;).

One Opinion.. But Others will chime in soon, I'm sure.

Joe

Last edited:

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
First Timer

Dave and Joe are both correct and I only have one thing to add. If you have not owned a diesel powered pick-up before you should think about the cost to maintain and repair them correctly when and if they break, parts are not cheap. Plus ask yourself, do I need a diesel? Towing, pulling, 4wheeling, plowing, etc. Not to stray you away from a purchase but I know a few people running trucks they don't need and it's expensive for them. Oh and the T444E is a very wise choice if your going to work it and find one with low miles. Good luck and welcome to SDD.

tool8ulost

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far, very informative. Do i need a SDD?? no, probably not. Do i want one, yes. the #1 reason for it............ fuel mileage
now for my thoughts on my reasoning.
1) the Ford gas engines are terrible on fuel, ive got a buddy with 2 2002's, 1 f250 and 1 f350, both with 5.4's, both with larger tires(315/70-16), and on the hwy he averages 8..........yes 8, thats without towing anything and a good stiff tail wind.
2) if im going to spend the extra $$ on gas(MPG) for a gas motor, why not go with a diesel, in all reality, the routine maint. and added fuel costs should just about equal out, saying that the turbo dont need rebuilding every year plus i get a boat load more torque when and if needed and if my right foot is on a diet, i should get double the fuel economy if i keep it in stock form, like i plan with just a few add ons(gauges, air filter upgrade, and exhaust)

please feel free to correct me on this if im not thinking it through correctly.

so anything over 200k i should shy away from......is that with both the 7.3 and 6.0?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far, very informative. Do i need a SDD?? no, probably not. Do i want one, yes. the #1 reason for it............ fuel mileage
now for my thoughts on my reasoning.
1) the Ford gas engines are terrible on fuel, ive got a buddy with 2 2002's, 1 f250 and 1 f350, both with 5.4's, both with larger tires(315/70-16), and on the hwy he averages 8..........yes 8, thats without towing anything and a good stiff tail wind.
2) if im going to spend the extra $$ on gas(MPG) for a gas motor, why not go with a diesel, in all reality, the routine maint. and added fuel costs should just about equal out, saying that the turbo dont need rebuilding every year plus i get a boat load more torque when and if needed and if my right foot is on a diet, i should get double the fuel economy if i keep it in stock form, like i plan with just a few add ons(gauges, air filter upgrade, and exhaust)

please feel free to correct me on this if im not thinking it through correctly.

so anything over 200k i should shy away from......is that with both the 7.3 and 6.0?

Sounds like you've thought this through purdy well.. Good reasoning for your Hunt.

IMO, 200K isn't necessarily a Breaking Point, but at, or close to that.. an Oasis, CarFax and the like reports, would tell you whats been repeatedly repaired, and how often. And, like with Any "Truck For Sale".. Your impression and Gut feeling of a PSD, after checking it out Real Good.. is Omni important.

Seems like.. there are some good PSD's for sale here on SDD, for various reasons. Your Call but I'd put alot of trust in that too ? A PSD that has been well maintained, or (mildly) Mod'd, with some forethought and research... by being a participating member here.. might be a Good Deal too ? :dunno

Joe

My Dad had a 5.4, he usta say.. Up hill, Down hill, Outa gear, In gear.. if the wheels were turn'n ? 8 miles per gallon. Loaded ? Id'a wana talk 'bout it.:lmao

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out Powerstrokehelp.com, he compares all PSD engines and does a breakdown of each one.

When I was looking for a truck, I looked for one with = or < 180,000mi. I found mine in Gearogia with 139,000mi, stock engine, for $11,500. 7.3s are less problem proned than the 6.0 and cheaper to work on. When I first drove it around it got 12mpg being easy on the pedal. I pulled a 16' box trailer back home and got 4-5mpg.

Now after my $250 TS chip $247 intake and $35 to straight pipe it, I get 15mpg around town, not easy on the pedal, and 17-19mpg on the interstate. I drove the Natchez Trace 2 weeks ago (50mph speed limit) it got 20-21mpg.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58