Injector ? No oil squirting

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the injectors out and sent them out to bean to get modded and hopefully cure a problem w/ the EGT's being too low found some bad o-rings, scored plungers & broken springs. So I'd say I had a few w/ that were problematic to begin with now I'm back to putting the truck back together...... It won't start
I turned the engine over for 15-20 seconds about a dozen times as I got things put back together I've built up fuel pressure, verified w/ a guage 20psi while cranking and I've got the oil rails full and pressure there can't say how much since I don't have a guage there but pressure was definately there when I pulled one of the plugs off and it shot oil across the engine w/ a good amount of force.

I got a friend to turn the key while I watched under the hood and the injectors aren't even squirting oil, :eek: there is no smoke coming out of the tailpipe when I'm trying to start it. Anyone have suggestions as to what would cause this. :dunno :dunno

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Im guessing you dont have enough HPO built up yet, I think you need a minimum of 500 PSI to break the injector over. I hope Bean comes along and corrects me if I am wrong here. Also have you taken the 1/4" plug out of the HPO reservoir yet and rechecked it for full? I pulled the #9 maxi fuse underhood so the IDM wouldnt fire, then went through about 5 or 6 cranking cycles of 45-60 seconds each with a 20-30 minute rest period between each cycle to let the batts charge up and starter cool off. After I did that I installed the #9 fuse and had to go through a couple more cycles before it finally lit off. It takes a good while to purge the air out of the rails. Remember that air is very compressable and if you are not liquid filled then you arent getting good HPO supply the the injectors.

barebackjake

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yes 500psi to fire injectors.

check #9 fuse. check wiring harness to make sure all connections are secure. batteries fully charged?

it took my truck about 10-15 cranking cycles to get going. that air gets stuck in there good sometimes.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She Runs, now I'm back in square one where I started with some really cool injectors though... I still have EGT's that are too low idle is right around 200 and there is no smoke. I've read that the PSD will run on zero psi fuel pressure. The FPR is shimmed and at idle I have 68psi. When reving the engine sitting still I get fuel pressures that drop to right around 35-40 psi. Does this sound right, I don't have a guage setup such that I can drive and check fuel presure.

Would inadequate fuel pressure cause the low EGT's? It makes sense in my brain not enough fuel to burn then the temps just aren't high enough.

Somebody tell me I'm off my rocker or if I'm thinking this would make sense before I go and replace the fuel pump.

Oh the other thing that makes me think that the fuel pump is the culpret is that my fuel bowl isn't completely full like it was when I bought the truck. I can pull the filter out and stick it back down in there and no fuel comes out of the bowl. I couldn't do that when I first bought the truck.

barebackjake

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
it could be a bad fuel pump, or plugged up FPR

your put the damaged injectors back in?

there could possibly be an air leak in a fuel line causing the pump to suck air into the fuel. the damaged injectors make me think of that.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
BJS said:
She Runs, now I'm back in square one where I started with some really cool injectors though... I still have EGT's that are too low idle is right around 200 and there is no smoke. I've read that the PSD will run on zero psi fuel pressure. The FPR is shimmed and at idle I have 68psi. When reving the engine sitting still I get fuel pressures that drop to right around 35-40 psi. Does this sound right, I don't have a guage setup such that I can drive and check fuel presure.

So which injectors are in the engine now? The old ones or the new ones? Have you called Bean? Those fuel pressure numbers dont sound too awfully bad to me. Matter of fact, they are pretty good.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's the new injectors well in my search to find out what was wrong I did find leaking weep holes in the fuel pump so it's pulled out now and I should have a new one installed this afternoon if I can get my hands on some fuel line to replace everything. I'm just compulsive and if I've got it torn apart I want to go ahead and replace everything. So I installed the IPR o-rings while I was in there and found one of the rings beginning to deteriorate. I just look at all of this as catching up on preventative maint so now the money can go toward more toys.

Haven't called bean it was the weekend and wouldn't expect him to answer the phone in the shop on the weekend. The inejctors work great

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
So with the new injectors in we can only assume that the "no oil" problem was related to not being fully primed I guess, and with some of the other stuff you are repairing right now we will find out if your low EGT problem disappears. Were you noticing fuel in the valley with the small weeps on the fuel pump?

bdp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry I didnt see this earlier, too many forums not enough time.

Low fuel pressure could cause low egts but not at idle if you have 68psi at idle the egts should be normal there. If you replace the pump and teh egts are still low then look to the gauge, egst can only be so low before the damn thing just wont run so if its runnig ok and seems liek egts are lower then they should be replace teh gauge.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a rather damp valley no fuel dripping off of the back of the engine. When I checked w/ a mirror I had fuel dribbling out of the weep holes so I don't feel too bad about replacing the pump, I ran out of daylight last night so I still have a few small things before I can start her back up.

Bean, the guage was my first guess w/ the EGT problem and it does the same w/ a new guage, probe & wire.

I'll update when I get it back together which hopefully will be this evening :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track