Injectors, Oil Cooler, EGR Cooler. Need parts help fast.

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, yes, I know I have not been on here for a while. Busy pursuing my 3rd volunteer job, almost have my Paramedic Cert. Here is the problem, Truck started (overnight) a little while ago having a rough idle, seems to run fine and then when the trans shifts into overdrive, it runs rough, or buckles, or shakes, what ever you want to call it.

I assumed it was injector(s) based on past experience, just trying to hold on till I can deal with it. Finally took it to local Ford Dealer today. They are saying I have 2 injectors, the oil cooler and the EGR cooler (both of which I have replaced before), going out. Saying about $5000.00. I know I have looked at injectors, etc. and know I can get the parts for a heck less. Here is my problem, I have to leave April 1 to do a externship for my paramedic in Louisiana on April 1. Trying to get my regular projects done, my hospital and ambulance clinicals done, and trying to figure out my truck since I need to use it to go down and leave my family the vehicles they need for the month, if I can figure out the time to get it done.

My question is, what injectors have people had luck with, what Oil cooler, and do a EGR delete??? Just looking for some advice. I know it's a big list, but thanks in advance for any help.

Barrett

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow brother, this sounds like the real Rock and a hard place. Are there any other shops in town that does diesel work?
I would for sure talk to someone else about these prices. This does include shaving the heads and new head studs, don't it.
Good Luck. Oh yes, by the way it's good to hear from you and thanks for all the work your doing to help all of us.
Doug

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would get it scanned to see what the ECM thinks is wrong. My guess is the EGR valve is dirty. Easy fix to remove, clean and replace. I am not saying it is NOT injectors...

Dave :dunno

cwickd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If it's the 6.0 I would drive it into a ford dealership and light it on fire. Ford sued the company that designed and built that 6.0 and took back millions of dollars. They then supposedly put out only so many dollars to the regions to help fix some situations with people bringing these back but now all that money is spent. Instead of issuing a recall and protecting all the potential future 6.0 purchasers/ current owners. I just finished dealing with one of those and am very happy to have my hands clean of it! Get rid of that truck or find a 7.3 to swap.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Barrett - just finished going through all that. My research indicated a strong opinion on the boards for sticking with the Ford reman injectors that I found for $222 each plus tax from a dealer in CA versus $264 each from my local dealer. Also went with the Bulletproof EGR cooler ($350) as the consensus seemed to be they never fail compared to multiple failures of the OEM coolers.

I also decided not to do a delete as the 2005 and newer 6.0L will supposedly set a code and CEL for no EGR flow detected. And to clear the code and CEL you have to buy a programmer to fake out the computer.

Hope this helps.

Randy

Last edited:

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
So what was the out come on the trk? And hopefully ya finished your emt-p cert. That in it self is a lot of work. Been there done that years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58