Installing CB

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
Trying to find a good spot to run the coax from the engine bay and a power and ground for the radio. I have my dad's Cobra all in one unit but it has the power module that is hidden under the dash. Any suggestions for the '04 Super Duty? I don't see the usual grommets that don't have a bunch of factory lines already jammed in there pretty good. I'm also wondering about a place to hang the mic/unit without drilling holes in the dash for a mic clip.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Where is the antenna going to be? There are several empty fuses in the fuse panel. Select one that is good for 20 amps and use that. You can ground to the cab. There are several grounds under the Dash look for the one closest to where you want to put the CB. You can run the coax up one of the windsheild posts to the roof and drill a hole for the base loaded antenna. It is not hard but it is a pain in the azz to remove the roof panel. It is ALL do-able, have fun.

Dave ;tu

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
I have a fender mount for the driver's side. No drilling needed here. I took the whole unit out of my dad's '02 F-350 after he passed and we sold the truck for Mom to help with her financial situation. Wish we could have kept the truck but it was a dually and just about perfect otherwise. Where do I access the connections in the fuse box? Can I go through the front or are there connections behind it. In my '94 I just stuck a blade type connector into a fuse slot for the hot and grounded to a bolt for the parking brake if I remember. This fuse panel looks quite a bit different.

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
Does the fuse box come out? If it does can something be messed up? I can't crane my neck around to look at the back. ;) I could stick a blade connector in an empty slot in the front and attach the ground to one of the parking brake bolts. There is a wire loom coming through a grommet towards the bottom left under the dash that the coax should be able to be slid through. It will be a snug fit but that's okay isn't it?

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
I'm not sure about what comes apart under the dash and with all of the electronics in these trucks I can't afford to watch something start smoking. The old days you just ran wires wherever they could go and mounted things into metal dashes. This is a whole new world trying to not mess up the plastic. Not looking for a quick fix but I'm not familiar enough with this platform yet.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You had better find a friend or mechanic who knows your model of truck and get them to do it.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about what comes apart under the dash and with all of the electronics in these trucks I can't afford to watch something start smoking. The old days you just ran wires wherever they could go and mounted things into metal dashes. This is a whole new world trying to not mess up the plastic. Not looking for a quick fix but I'm not familiar enough with this platform yet.

As long as you use a 12v test light.. and find a 12v source at/in the fuse block.. that is OFF with the key OFF.. and a good Ground.. yer good to go.

If you look around under the dash.. yul see where FORD Grounded stuff... back off a nut and use one of those Grounds ?

As far as where the CB gets mounted.. thats your call.. based on ease of access.. and the look yer after... taking in the Mic ease of access too. Each Year, Make, Model, and accessory packages.. Makes it real hard/impossible.. for any of Us.. to tell You where... will work for you (?). (what Dave said)

That grommet on the fire-wall is easily used as a place to run the antenna wire through. Amazon.com sells an antenna wire that has one end the "brakes down", so to speak... makes it Very Easy to push the wire through.. from the under the hood side.

Joe

Jus' An Idea ? Those CB's with a power module.. with the controls on the Mic [could be].. mounted under the seat ? Outa sight ?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64