Key Dinger?

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow it has been a long time since I have made a post on here. To many other projects and a testmament to my truck rarely needing any non routine maintenance.

Not sure what you want to call it but I have been having problems with the reminder bell that "dings" when you leave your key in your ignition. I take my key out and when I open the door it thinks I still have it in. If I pull the key out JUST RIGHT I can get it to stop. It beats the intermitant torque converter unlocking when using my turn signal problem I had for a few days though.

Does anyone have an idea of how to disable this without disabling the exact same sound that is used when I leave my headlights on, as I like this function?

Last edited:

Brain's Diesel

Brain's 97 Diesel
Reaction score
Remove the steering colum cover top & bottom. Put key in ignition and turn on (not start or run). Look under the ignition switch there is a pin that sticks down, push it in and remove the ignition switch. There is a wire that slips in (exposed copper) in the ignition switch area, remove it (don't cut it) and place out of the way. Tape up the exposed copper wire and reassemble. The lights on dinger is seperate.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guys above have told you how to kill the buzzer though keep in mind that the reason that you're getting the buzzer now is because of slop in the ignition switch cylinder. Now would make a good time to replace the worn pieces.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I might try the short term fix for now until I can focus on the truck more once out of flight school.

Regarding replacing the parts that have slop. Is that just a whole knew ignition key cylinder that I need to take out and replace?

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the steering colum cover top & bottom. Put key in ignition and turn on (not start or run). Look under the ignition switch there is a pin that sticks down, push it in and remove the ignition switch. There is a wire that slips in (exposed copper) in the ignition switch area, remove it (don't cut it) and place out of the way. Tape up the exposed copper wire and reassemble. The lights on dinger is seperate.

Thank you,

This was the problem. It had just come out and was making contact on a piece of metal on the column. Wrapped up with electrical tape and tucked away. Have once since locked my keys in my truck though :). Luckily I carry a wire hanger in the back of my truck and it only takes me about 2 mintues to get in.

Sorry for the long update. Now to go post about more of my problems :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg