Knock, Knock......

drchris1024

SDD Security
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
best thing I did for my 7.3 was to install a regulator that flowed all the unused fuel out of the heads and it really cut down the air in the fuel and idle knock.
I can guide you on what you need and where to get teh pieces, but cant reco. a dealer of a prepackaged setup. its to easy to build your own and to your desires.
takes about three hours to do it right and about 20 minutes to remove if needed
Robert

Check w/ ITP DIESEL. they have a nice set-up and are a sponsor here. I just did the hole system and it is problable the most efficient thing that I have done. Right now after 4 fill-ups I have gained 1 1/2 MPG. :thumbs Plus the liquid filled regulater guage looks cool sittng on top my diesel. :cowboy:

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
he's new but very whitty. I like him. :D Thanks for the lesson Hoss :thumbs

Ever so glad you liked it. Probably not new info for a lot of guys on here, but it doesn't hurt to rehash every once in awhile! :thanks

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also did the pre pump/intank mods, and the regulated return system. Made a huge difference in the way my 7.3 runs. Very quiet, especially once its at operating temerature.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
silverado3500 said:
I also did the pre pump/intank mods, and the regulated return system. Made a huge difference in the way my 7.3 runs. Very quiet, especially once its at operating temerature.

When your truck is cold, the timing is all out of whack due to the PCM changing it for cold operation. The noise you hear is bad timing. The noise you heard before your pre-pump, in-tank, and RR was ALSO bad timing, but for different reasons. YOu fixed the normal Op temp timing issue with your mods. The cold temp timing issue is just the nature of the beast, unless you were to program it out, which I'm not sure you would want to do...

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I have no intentions of screwing with the cold operation timing. The noise when its cold never bothered me because diesels don't like to run cold. Thats just the nature of the beast. I've very happy with the way she's currently running. Only changes I have planned any time soon are the 203* thermostat, and and the 10k mod.

dj700mm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
knock knock

:dunno My 01 has that darn tommy knocker in it also, but it seems to be worse when at operating temps. the truck has 68k on it would it be something cover under the 100k warrity. I have 4" exhaust, edge with attiude and it does'nt matter what setting the edge is on

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
dj700mm said:
:dunno My 01 has that darn tommy knocker in it also, but it seems to be worse when at operating temps. the truck has 68k on it would it be something cover under the 100k warrity. I have 4" exhaust, edge with attiude and it does'nt matter what setting the edge is on

If you take it in for warranty with the cackle, from what i've heard, you will get one of two things. First, they will tell you it is completely normal for your truck to make this noise, and that it is not hurting anything, and to just drive it and ignore it. Second, they will put a Long Lead injector in hole #8 to try to quiet the noise down some. Neither of these will really address the problem and fix it for what it is. The second option may quiet it down some, though.

Oh, you have a third option, too, since you have the J/A and 4" exhaust... When you take it in for warranty, they will tell you the lack of exhaust backpressure and the extra heat from the J/A is causing the cackle, and VOID your warranty... :rolleyes: :roflmao Sorry, I couldn't help it, I am a little cynical sometimes....

Try getting a LL injector under warranty if you just want to quiet the cackle. If you want to "fix" the problem, it is going to take a lot more "warranty voiding" modifications, including re-doing the fuel system from the pickup in the tank to the returnless heads. THe nice thing about this is that you can do it in steps, starting in the tank, then pre-pump, and so on, until you find the one that "cures" the issue. Keeping in mind that the cackle may very well always be there, but it can be quieted down so much that it doesn't bother you or is not noticeable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim