Leak

1baddiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 F-350 with the 7.3 psd. Two weeks ago this thing started leaking oil up on the passenger side front of the motor. It isn't leaking from the valve cover or up near the fuel filter. It seems like it's leaking behind the alternator. Since I don't drive it every day I just parked it. I should have some time to tear into it this weekend. I was wondering if any of you guys or gals have ever run into this before??? :rant

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
possibly high pressure oil rail end plugs or the HPOP res gasket leaking would be my first two guesses for a leak in that area

gordonparrott

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
There is a plug (unknown purpose) behind the alternator and a.c. compressor. The O ring on this plug is worn and allows oil leak out. You can put some dye in the oil to confirm but I am fairly certain as I have dealt with this myself. There is another identical plug on the rear of the block which may leak as well over time.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have a simliar problem. How hard is it to fix a leak like this? Mine is falling right on my front diff. I haven't had time to get under there and wipe it all down to source it exactly but from what all I've read on here, it is most likely a HPOP or related to it somehow. I've got almost 250,000 on mine.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The High Pressure Oil Rail End Plugs are common leakers on these things. They seal the HP Oil Rail passages in the heads on each end (2 plugs for each head, 1 at each end). They are about 2 inches in diameter with a 1/2" square-drive recess (perfect for a 1/2" flex-head ratchet to remove them). The new plugs have the o-ring built in so you just replace the whole thing. Just have to remove accessories on the front to get to them and attempt to get some leverage for the back ones. Cheers!

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have to drain the whole oil system? I would think not since it wouldn't be under pressure. I'm sure some would leak out but just wondering should this turn out to be my issue and I dive off into it.

Thanks

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to drain the engine's oil out, but be prepared for the oil rail to drain out (have some rags handy). Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14