Leather Steering Wheel Cleaning

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As the title states, I am needing tips/tricks/suggestions on cleaning the leather wrapped steering wheel that came in many Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles.

I have the leather covered wheel in my Excursion (Still nice and clean), and a similar wheel in my 98 Mercury Sable Wagon. Since I purchased it, no matter what I have tried (wipes, rag/soap/water, etc) I have not been able to get the wheel in the Sable to come clean, and stay clean. It has the black, tacky "coating" (I believe from dirty/sweaty hands on the wheel all these years from the PO). I can wipe it down, and it soon comes back. It is the dyed leather to match the interior, and is "stitched" along the inside of the rim. I would like to be able to clean it, as I am not fond of the steering wheel covers that "slip on" over the existing wheel. Makes the wheel "too fat" for my liking. (Yes I am one of the strange ones that actually liked the thin wheel in the early 80's trucks and vans)....

Any ideas, I would like it to come clean, and not still have the film that is on there now when it is dry, and definitely do not want to change the texture of the wheel (make it slick, greasy, armor-all, feeling either). I like feel of the clean one in the truck, and would like to keep it that way, and make the one in the wagon nice again, like the one in the truck.

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
i've had this happen to steering wheels also in my cases the material was breaking down and would never come clean. i believe the black stuff is the material rubbing off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track