Help Needed Long cranking time

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
Ok need some help I am stumped I noticed that my truck went from 2 to 3 turns to start to like 8 to 10. I have checked the following items.

I also installed a new TAD 190 alternator a month ago it puts out 14.8 volt at idle. :sweet

I also have installed a new starter about 2 month ago gear reduction. and let me tell you it turns these motors over now. :sweet

GPR good 12.5 volt with key on both side's
Glow plugs 0.6 to 0.8 on all 8 of them
load tested battery they passed tested one at a time separately.
changed fuel filter's and fuel pressure is 70 psi.
pulled HPOP plug and it was with in 3/4 of an inch from the top.

I am not sure what else to check no check engine lights no codes. I do know that's its time to change the oil is a year old but only has 3000 mile on it. I don't drive it much in the summer most of the time in the winter month's.

I also noticed that it used about QT to QT and a half in 3000 mile's I have no leaks it dose not smoke it has never used oil now this what the He**.

any suggestions. When its running it runs really good no power lost pulls good etc.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The long cranking maybe due to a weakened HPOP. They start to lose the ability to generate enough oil pressure that allows the injectors to fire. Once it is running the HPOP makes enough pressure to run normally. You can look into getting a rebuilt HPOP to save some$$$.

Dave :coffee

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dave said.

A 7.3 needs 500 HPOP pressure when cranking.. to pop the injectors (atomize/create a good spray pattern).

AND/Or.... it's Fall, ambient temps are dropping. #2 ULSC diesel fuel is basically.. "Junk" fuel. (as compared).

8 to 10 licks, vice 3 to 4 licks could be the above.

You might try a Cetane booster... see if that helps ?

If not.. it might be time to address the (2003 ?) HPOP.

Joe

Last edited:

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
Thanks Gentlemen I have it going to the shop on Friday there going to scan the HPOP for pressure and duty.

Bill

A/Ox4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I have seen I will watch tomorrow.

If it does blow smoke, white, that means fuel is getting into the cylinder and that would mean the HPOP is just fine. No smoke might mean not enough fuel is in the cylinder, ie weak HPOP.

Hansel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
White smoke usually means running lean, and black is running rich.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58