Question Looking for detailed lug nut info regarding 02 F350 & American Racing wheels

gooseman80

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have purchased some American Racing AR969 Ansen Offroad Satin Black wheels (AR96989087700) for a 2002 F-350 4x4 SWB.
They are 18x9 wheels with a 8x170 bolt pattern.

I’m a little confused on the lug nuts I need for this setup. I know I need M14mmx2.0 pitch lug nuts, however, I don’t know additional details on this.
1. Conical seat vs extended thread (ET) seats?
2. Spline vs Acorn?
3. Length? (I put one wheel on a hub and stuck a small depth gauge alongside one lug nut until it bottomed out inside the wheel, I got about 1-1/4” from where it makes contact inside the wheel to the end of the lug nut). Does this mean I need a lugnut at least 1.5 inches long?

I have an additional question concerning hub centering rings and if they are needed or not. In addition to the 4 hub caps I got with the rim, I also ordered two open end caps (part # 899060MB) before of the locking hubs on the front axle.
4. Do these caps take the place of any needed hub centering caps? They do install from the back of the rim.
5. One of my plastic caps had a large O’ring inside the for the other 3, the O’ring was missing. What are these for and do I need to contact my distributor for the missing ones?
6. If the flange of the caps looks like they protrude slightly beyond the wheel’s chamfer, does this mean I might have the wrong caps?

Thanks

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get ahold of American Racing (Phone/Internet)... Ask them what you've Asked us... See what they say ? They should be able to tell you EXACTLY what you need, for YOUR application.

Joe

gooseman80

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'd get ahold of American Racing (Phone/Internet)... Ask them what you've Asked us... See what they say ? They should be able to tell you EXACTLY what you need, for YOUR application.

Joe

Yeah big joe,
That was my first thought as well. Sent them an email about 5 days ago and failed at finding any type of contact phone number.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seat style will depend on your rim. That should be easy enough to figure out. I had to run long lug nuts on my Expedition because of how deep the hub was. And I needed a thin wall socket to do it. Acorn vs. spline should just be a matter of taste. I've never run spline because I didn't want that special of a socket.

You shouldn't need a centering ring if the rims fit over the hub correctly. If they don't then I'd advise a set of rings. The aftermarket rims on my Expy were lug centric. If I didn't torque them correctly it would vibrate.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

gooseman80

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The seat style will depend on your rim. That should be easy enough to figure out. I had to run long lug nuts on my Expedition because of how deep the hub was. And I needed a thin wall socket to do it. Acorn vs. spline should just be a matter of taste. I've never run spline because I didn't want that special of a socket.

You shouldn't need a centering ring if the rims fit over the hub correctly. If they don't then I'd advise a set of rings. The aftermarket rims on my Expy were lug centric. If I didn't torque them correctly it would vibrate.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Was told by another user on another forum pretty much the same thing. He is running the same wheels on a 2002 and was able to answer all my questions.

He actually purchased these off ebay so I think I am good now in the information. Thanks for your help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26077116370...1&exe=13926&ext=35632&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64