Help Needed loose steering

tylerf350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 f350 4x4. The steering on this truck seems to be a bit loose. Is there any easy way to fix this. I did have a friend tell me that the tie rod end at the steering box is in need of replacement, would this fix it, or do I need to do something else too?

Thanks
Ty

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You need to check A:: of the tie rods. Replace any that are loose, even a little loose. If they are all good, there is a adjustment bolt and nut on top of the steering box that can be tightened to remove the slop in the box. Gently tighten it and tighten the nut to lock it in place. DO NOT over tighten it, or you will wear out the box.

Dave

tylerf350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So, I had it to the dealership today, they said it was the tie rod end at the steering box that is bad... they wanted 107 labor to install a new end that was 108. So 215 to do the project (plus alignment). I will be doing a leveling kit soon so I will do all this at the same time. I am looking for help on instructions to do the tierod end (pitman arm?? don't know what this is) and a part number I would need to compare price with autozone.

Any help will be nice

tylerf350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Also... I know the steering stabilizer is gone... would that contribute to this also? the bracket is there, but no shock.

tylerf350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So, here is the big question. The part is only 37 bucks and should bolt right in... IF i had the bolts. The new shock doesn't come with bolts, can I just get a bolt, couple washers, and nut??? obviously one set for each side, or do I need special bolts? if so where can I get them and or what size are they?

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking from experience.. On my way back from a vacation in South Carolina, my steering box dropped the pitman arm shaft while taking a off ramp.. little on the scary side with the family in the truck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14