Question Losing coolant, white smoke.... Head gaskets? EGR? HELP!!!

ATVTYSON

ATVTYSON
Reaction score
I had the same problem on mine last summer on vacation at 67,000 miles. Towed it to Ford dealer and they replased the EGR valve only under warranty. 1000 miles later it began producing white smoke again and again had no power. I took it to a differnet dealer (closer to home) and they replaced EGR valve, EGR cooler and Oil cooler. The second dealer made me jump through a bunch of hoops because the repair estimate was approximately $3000. Apparently they have to get permission to do warranty work over a thousand dollars. I had to provide records of all oil changes to show that I did not cause the problems. I think thats a bunch of bull$hit when I paid $4000 for the extended warranty. Not to mention they have replaced the rear main seal three times.

I have 79,000 miles now and intend to go the bullet proof diesel route when the warranty runs out.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
I had the same problem on mine last summer on vacation at 67,000 miles. Towed it to Ford dealer and they replaced the EGR valve only under warranty. 1000 miles later it began producing white smoke again and again had no power. I took it to a different dealer (closer to home) and they replaced EGR valve, EGR cooler and Oil cooler. The second dealer made me jump through a bunch of hoops because the repair estimate was approximately $3000. Apparently they have to get permission to do warranty work over a thousand dollars. I had to provide records of all oil changes to show that I did not cause the problems. I think that's a bunch of bull$hit when I paid $4000 for the extended warranty. Not to mention they have replaced the rear main seal three times.

I have 79,000 miles now and intend to go the bullet proof diesel route when the warranty runs out.
As we all know, most stealer ships repair most warranties at the lowest cost to them. When I had my truck repaired the first time they did not flush the coolant system and it clogged the oil cooler up again shortly after the repairs were completed. When I repaired it myself this last time I made sure to flush out the coolant system real good.

Keep a good eye on the clarity of your coolant is the degas bottle. Flush as needed. I replaced my coolant with G05 Zerix coolant

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Others have used ELC coolant for replacement coolant. I am going to try ELC coolant later this summer.

Dave

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
I had the same problem on mine last summer on vacation at 67,000 miles. Towed it to Ford dealer and they replaced the EGR valve only under warranty. 1000 miles later it began producing white smoke again and again had no power. I took it to a different dealer (closer to home) and they replaced EGR valve, EGR cooler and Oil cooler. The second dealer made me jump through a bunch of hoops because the repair estimate was approximately $3000. Apparently they have to get permission to do warranty work over a thousand dollars. I had to provide records of all oil changes to show that I did not cause the problems. I think that's a bunch of bull$hit when I paid $4000 for the extended warranty. Not to mention they have replaced the rear main seal three times.

That's funny because it's not the oil that clogs the oil cooler it is the bad coolant. That they should have replaced (along with the oil and filter) when they repaired it the first time.

If the Bullet Proof did not cost so much I know many other people would be installing it. Why doesn't Ford make that change in there trucks.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
Others have used ELC coolant for replacement coolant. I am going to try ELC coolant later this summer.

Dave

I am liking it so far. I plan to flush the system out again and install a coolant filter in the near future.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I did my coolant filter before I had 15,000 miles. Great filter system. I had to add a ball valve, as the kit only had one and I wanted to be able to totally isolate the filter. I got the Coolant Filter from Dieselsite.com, our sponsor.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my coolant filter before I had 15,000 miles. Great filter system. I had to add a ball valve, as the kit only had one and I wanted to be able to totally isolate the filter. I got the Coolant Filter from Dieselsite.com, our sponsor.Dave

Times 2.

Probably one of the Best "Insurance" Mods we can do, IMO... to any one of these PSD's ;tu;tu

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58