Low Speed Towing Growl

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull a 32' Fifth wheel aprox 13000 lbs. If I take off from a stop agressivly, I get a growl from below and mainly behind. Does any one else have this issue?
The truck has the guts to get up and go pretty quick.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked to see how far you are dropping the rear of your truck when you hook up the trailer?
If the weight of your trailer is dropping your truck 3 or 4 inches, your drive shaft may be hitting on take off.
If that's what's going on I would add a set of air bags to the rear of your truck.
Doug

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked to see how far you are dropping the rear of your truck when you hook up the trailer?
If the weight of your trailer is dropping your truck 3 or 4 inches, your drive shaft may be hitting on take off.
If that's what's going on I would add a set of air bags to the rear of your truck.
Doug

Thanks
I haven't checked but will next time. It shouldn't be as the rated payload is 4500 lb and when loaded with the trailer is 3200 lb.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno
If I take off from a stop agressivly, I get a growl from below and mainly behind.

When you do an aggresive take off.. when the engine/drive-train torques up, it could be causing something to rub.. making a growling sound (like Doug said).. or the exhaust hitting on something ? Look for shiney spots. Or the spring sets loading up ? Spray a 50/50 mix of liquid soap, or WD-40 on the spring sets. (better if you jack it up first):dunno

Joe

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr