Low Sulfur Diesel Warning

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I stopped at Murphy Oil (Walmart) to put some diesel in the PSD and noticed a warning sign regarding Low Sulfur Diesel stating that Federal law prohibits putting this fuel in 2007 or newer vehicles and that damage to the engine could result. I'm a little confused about this because I thought that 2007 models were supposed to run on Low Sulfur Diesel. It also mentioned something about 500 ppm. Sorry, I didn't memorize the entire warning, forgot to write it down. This is the first warning of this type that I've seen.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Ultra Low Sulfar has been mandated in North Texas since Katrina was my understanding?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Moving from 500ppm to 50ppm..........:confused:

Tbar

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
I read the same thing today. If it is prohibited and it is harmful to my engine then what the heck am I supposed to fill up with.:dunno

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read that sticker up here in PA too.

Had me confused for a bit till I re-worked it in my head.

My interpretation: The fuel at that pump is not the ultra low diesel, therefore, may not be used in 07 and newer vehicles.

It does not say anything about using in 06 and older vehicles. That is why I think the warning is there. They do not have the ultra yet.

If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
02SilverStroke said:
Yesterday I stopped at Murphy Oil (Walmart) to put some diesel in the PSD and noticed a warning sign regarding Low Sulfur Diesel stating that Federal law prohibits putting this fuel in 2007 or newer vehicles and that damage to the engine could result. I'm a little confused about this because I thought that 2007 models were supposed to run on Low Sulfur Diesel. It also mentioned something about 500 ppm. Sorry, I didn't memorize the entire warning, forgot to write it down. This is the first warning of this type that I've seen.
You're a little confused. LOW sulphur diesel is what we've had since 1993.

ULTRA low sulphur diesel is what must be run in 2007 and newer vehicles.

The stuff at the pump is the same thing you've been running since 1993. Everybody is perfectly fine running it, since no 2007 MY rigs have been released yet. For a while, they will have LOW sulphur diesel at the pumps, even after the ULTRA low sulphur diesel rigs have been released, hence the warning labels warning that the stuff at the pump is LOW, not ULTRA low.

Does that help at all?

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
Just thought it over after you explained it some. Man do I feel like a moron. Guess I need to get some more sleep. It said 2007 and later not 2007 and earlier. Like Carlos Mencia says DEDE!!! I'm retarded!!!

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
When they moved to Low Sulfer diesel in 1993 it caused problems in some engines............

Wonder what we have to look forward to with our pre 2007 engines using the USD.............

What did they change in the 2007 engines.......??? :dunno

Tbar

Last edited:

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They added a bunch of emissions related crap that gets fouled up from too much sulphur.

Things like particulate traps, and more aggressive EGR, and more cat converter stuff.

While some of the 06 trucks have that too, its not to the degree that the new engines will have.

My suggestion is if you HAVE to fill up with the new ULSD fuel, add some diesel treatment. ULSD has almost no lubricity. The act of removing the sulphur also removes lubricity from the fuel.

Mix some bio-Diesel in and that should help with lubricity also.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
They added a bunch of emissions related crap that gets fouled up from too much sulphur.
To be more specific, the sulphur binds itself to the catalysts inside the new particulate traps, renders them useless, and just generally causes hate and discontent

Things like particulate traps,
a 2-micron filter that is "regenerated" by an extra injector that shoots fuel onto the trap every so often (which could be ignited by a SPARK PLUG depending on the system. It is an absolute TRAVESTY!!!!) to burn off the soot that accumulates on it. These things are BIG and will probably be restrictive enough that it feels like you're driving around with your EBPV partially on everywhere you go. Wrong direction, IMHO. We need FUEL ECONOMY, not particulate traps.
and more aggressive EGR, and more cat converter stuff.
And VGT turbos and maybe even TWIN turbos in some cases, in order to keep air flowing at low boost to keep things clean.

While some of the 06 trucks have that too, its not to the degree that the new engines will have.
'07 spec require a 90% reduction in everything over the 06 spec, last I read. So everything is bigger, badder, more expensive to fix, and just generally a sour POS to work with, I'm sure.

My suggestion is if you HAVE to fill up with the new ULSD fuel,
which you will after Spetember or October, depending on your location.
add some diesel treatment. ULSD has almost no lubricity.
In untreated form, this is true, however, the refineries will be adding enough lubricity additives to teh fuel to meet ASTM specifications on injector wear, etc, so my guess is that you won't notice a difference in injector life, if they do what they are supposed to. However, adding lube is never a bad idea, and you can bet that "THEY" will only do the bare minimum

Mix some bio-Diesel in and that should help with lubricity also.
Some say 1% bio increases lubricity by as much as 60%. So adding bio is a good plan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64