Mad Jack

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dane;

I just finished a holiday tow in the Canadian Rockies. I am running 15W-40 premium amsoil. I was towing a 28' bumper pull, and a full load of family and camping stuff. The outside air temp was 80 degrees plus, with several 10%+ climbs. These were not short climbs, very long. I kept the EGT to 1250 max, at 60 mph or so. She did it easily, and the ECT was 216 highest, and the EOT got up to 230. The coolant fan kicked in intermittently, and the tranny temp never got much above 180. I don't think you can get worse towing conditions, but my 06 6.0 was flawless. My question is - What temp does Amsoil recommend as a maximum with that oil?

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dane;

I just finished a holiday tow in the Canadian Rockies. I am running 15W-40 premium amsoil. I was towing a 28' bumper pull, and a full load of family and camping stuff. The outside air temp was 80 degrees plus, with several 10%+ climbs. These were not short climbs, very long. I kept the EGT to 1250 max, at 60 mph or so. She did it easily, and the ECT was 216 highest, and the EOT got up to 230. The coolant fan kicked in intermittently, and the tranny temp never got much above 180. I don't think you can get worse towing conditions, but my 06 6.0 was flawless. My question is - What temp does Amsoil recommend as a maximum with that oil?

Jet,

Your not even close at 230. The flash point of that oil is 464*F so you are well within the operating range of that oil. Sorry it took me so long but there have been some family issues that arose and have taken me away from all this. My father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer that spread to his liver. Enough said.

Dane

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58