magnet and paint discoloration?

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I put my sdd.com decal on magnetic tape and placed it over the dealer stick on letters. I had not washed the truck first. I removed it over the weekend to wash and noticed the area underneath was now a faint yellow. It had only been there a month or so.

Any idea why simple magnetic tape would yellow my paint? :dunno

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
peter
your truck is white correct?
you guys got lots of red iron infused dirt/dust around your parts
the iron may have been trapped by the decal/magnet and a little moitsure also got in there and the iron oxide reacted with the closed cell/concentration cell and stained the paint yellow, try some light wax to see if it goes away.

that would be my corrosion take on the issue

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
sounds reasonable. Yes, it's white. I'll try that tonight and see if it comes off. I want to keep the magnet set up if I can. I'll let you know if it works...

Thanks! :sweet

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
well, I tried twice. No discernable difference. I also noticed the same thing on the OTHER side too where I had done the same with another sticker. My neighbor works in a body shop. I'll see what he says.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
you may have to move up to some light rubbing compound, them liitle iron particles are taking hold, very similiar to the rail dust on the new cars and trucks,
they are big around here and folks have little bow shaped shadow marks on there cars, when they take em off.:(

dpantazis

Reaction score
those magnets ARE iron based

iirc those magnets ARE iron based- ie, they are magnetic. rubbing compound is the ticket but you may not like how much you have to rub to get it out.

i was looking for those decals but could not find the link. are they still available?

dennis

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
you just have to PM CHPMustang and see if he still has any.

So is this just going to be a continuous issue if I put the magnet on the painted surface or is there a way to prevent it? I moved them to my step rails for the time being but it looks dumb.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
peter
once you get it buffed out, you just need to wash behind the sticker often, keep a good coat of wax on the truck to act as a barrier.
i placed mine on the window and put my magnetic stuff on the bumper.
our dirt here is red red red and it stains jsut fine on its own, without gettign trapped behind a magnetic sticker,
plus your white truck will show it alot faster than others.

aldo_45030

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many moons ago i worked for a company which made the permanent flexible magnets you have described. It is recommended that each surface be cleaned and waxed prior to installation. There is also a maintance waxing and cleaning i think it was 1/month. It was my experience that chemical agents in the materials will react to paint in adverse ways. I have seen samples of magnetic signs come back where the paint had bonded with the magnet and pealed right off when removed. I have witnesses the paint discoloration also and have no recommendations other than don't use these types of magnets its not worth the risk.....I don't and will not in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim