make sure you put the right oil in your truck!

Superduty78

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Did an oil change last weekend and decided to use10w40 instead of 15w40. Just to thin it down some for the colder temps. I was going to go with 5w40 synthetic but at the time it seemed a little pricey. Anyway about 2 days later my oil pressure gauge drops down to nothing while it was warming up before I left work. The check gauges light came on and I'm thinking oh ****! I pushed on the gas pedal and the gauge went back to mormal and the check gauges light went off. Started driving home and every time I came to a stop it would fall back to nothing. Same deal, step on the gas and the gauge goes back to normal. Icheck underneath the truck no leaks. I check the battery terminals and had some corrosion on one battery. Disconnected all terminals wire brushed everything and sprayed some battery terminal spray on them and reconnected them. Problem went away over the weekend then just started up again yesterday.
I called the dealer and they asked if I had changed the oil lately and I said yeah, used 10w40 instead, bla bla bla....he said did you use diesel or gas oil? I really only thought as long as you use 40 weight oil you are ok. Evidently not. He said that there are lubricants in the diesel oil that help lubricate the injectors and other parts and to get that stuff out of the motor as soon as I can because it will mess up the injectors. I just got 4 injectors replaced back in July at the tune of $2700! So I drained the oil and put in Rotella 5w40 HEAVY DUTY synthetic. I drive home tomorow after work its about 125 miles from the house...we'll see if it comes back on. He said if it still comes on I proly have a bad switch...no big deal

Make sure you check that the container says Diesel or Heavy Duty! Haha

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD.COM ;tu;tu

And Glad you posted this "Real Time/Real World " Importance of using the RIGHT Oil in these things.

It's been bantered about.. many times here.. but your Post has some of the indicators of OIL.. Weight & Type issues.

Joe

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
That sounds like a sensor problem more than the wrong kind of oil problem. It doesn't matter what kind of oil you put in the engine it will still read a pressure if the pump is pumping. And I would think it would take a long time to realize the ill effects of the wrong kind of oil in an engine.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it changed out, Welcome to SSD.com. Tell us about your truck.
Doug

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
10W 30 and 1w 40 are not diesel oils unless it states that this oil is recommended for use in diesel engines and has the appropriate rating, like CI 4 or CJ 4.

Dave :)

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Diesel engine oil in a gasoline engine is ok but gasoline engine oil in a diesel is a big no-no..

Superduty78

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I went to the section where you fill out for your "signature" but it doesn't show at the bottom of my post...nevermind. just looked at the preview for this post and there it is!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58