Manual 4WD shifter on electric shift transfer case

blktppr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you can put a manual 4WD shifter on a transfer case that originally had an electric shift set up on it? If so, where is the best place to get the necessary parts to do so?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of this being done. Or going the other way; ESOF (Electronic Shift On the Fly) to Manual. Different cases and transfer case numbers.

Dave :)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The ESOF transfer case has a "Shift Motor" that engages the four wheel drive upon an electrical signal (switch). The motor actually moves gears to engage the 4WD. This motor makes it a different transfer case.

Dave ;tu

blktppr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I looked a little closer today and found that it looks like you could put a linkage lever on the shaft coming out of the side of the transfer case, but unlike the old 4 speed transmissions of the 70's and 80's, there is no hole in the center of the shaft to put a bolt and washer into to hold the lever in place. Does anyone have a picture, or know where a picture could be found, of the manual shift transfer case and linage used for the manual shift assembly?

blktppr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
DaveBen, the ESOF actually moves a shaft that in turn moves shift forks inside the transfer case to slide gears into, or out of, other gears.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am sure you could make it work. I have not seen a "kit" to do this. Good Luck and shoot some photos when you do.

Dave :thumbs

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
the electronic case shifts from the rear
the manual case from the side.

won't work

blktppr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well my electric shaft case comes out the side. It has the squared off shaft coming out that would accept a shift lever, but has no hole in the end to accept a bolt and washer to keep the lever from coming off.

blktppr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
maybe I should tell what I have as this past weekend I found out that Ford put many different transfer cases in these trucks. I have a 2000 crew cab, long box with a 7.3L diesel and the six speed (what I would call a 4 speed with low and OD) transmission.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr