Manual Locking Hub replacement?

sierra4x4

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello All Happy Thanksgiving!

I have a bad locking hub and need a replacement. Mine are labeled LOCK - FREE , what is the difference with the ones that are labeled Lock - Auto?

I need to order online as the nearest Ford store has closed up.

Thanks

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy TD to you too.

Lock/Auto means you have the vacuum lines running into the hubs and when you selected 2WD/4WD-Hi/4WD-Lo from the dash, it locks the hub. Lock/FREE means you need to get out and lock them in, or unlock them. When my old Ford auto hub dies, I replaced with Warn units, and I get out and set to Lock if I need 4WD. Note I still need to select 4WD inside the cab...

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score

john griffin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out how unreliable the "lock/auto" hubs were about 6 months after I bought my truck.The right side "auto" didnt disengage and that was the end of my front axel after a 300mile trip home.Ford replaced it all on warranty and a couple days later I put a set of manual Warn hubs on.That was 16 yrs ago and they still work fine!

FINKSTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I was thinking about installing Warn hubs on my "01 dually and was told that they won't fit because of the hub extensions. I took a good look at it last week when I had the extensions off to replace the pads and rotors. I may be wrong, but it looks to me like the only difference between the dually and a standard truck is the extension. If so - other than being a little tight , which is true also of the stock hubs - I don't understand why the warn hubs won't fit. Anyone have any experience with this?

wyostroke

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I was thinking about installing Warn hubs on my "01 dually and was told that they won't fit because of the hub extensions. I took a good look at it last week when I had the extensions off to replace the pads and rotors. I may be wrong, but it looks to me like the only difference between the dually and a standard truck is the extension. If so - other than being a little tight , which is true also of the stock hubs - I don't understand why the warn hubs won't fit. Anyone have any experience with this?
The warn hubs(11690) will fit, but its near impossible to reach all the way in to turn them. I had a friend that did this, and he just built a little tool to reach in and turn them.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, I had to knock the center of the wheel covers out but other than that I can reach right in and twist....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64