Manual Locking Hub replacement?

Discussion in '99+ 7.3L PowerStroke Engine & Drivetrain' started by sierra4x4, Nov 24, 2016.

1. sierra4x4

sierra4x4 SDD Junior Member

Hello All Happy Thanksgiving!

I have a bad locking hub and need a replacement. Mine are labeled LOCK - FREE , what is the difference with the ones that are labeled Lock - Auto?

I need to order online as the nearest Ford store has closed up.

Thanks

2. RSG

RSG Full Access Member

Happy TD to you too.

Lock/Auto means you have the vacuum lines running into the hubs and when you selected 2WD/4WD-Hi/4WD-Lo from the dash, it locks the hub. Lock/FREE means you need to get out and lock them in, or unlock them. When my old Ford auto hub dies, I replaced with Warn units, and I get out and set to Lock if I need 4WD. Note I still need to select 4WD inside the cab...

3. sierra4x4

sierra4x4 SDD Junior Member

So I can get the Warn , Is there a difference in spline count between the two?

4. RSG

RSG Full Access Member

5. john griffin

john griffin Full Access Member

I found out how unreliable the "lock/auto" hubs were about 6 months after I bought my truck.The right side "auto" didnt disengage and that was the end of my front axel after a 300mile trip home.Ford replaced it all on warranty and a couple days later I put a set of manual Warn hubs on.That was 16 yrs ago and they still work fine!

6. FINKSTR

FINKSTR Full Access Member

A couple of years ago I was thinking about installing Warn hubs on my "01 dually and was told that they won't fit because of the hub extensions. I took a good look at it last week when I had the extensions off to replace the pads and rotors. I may be wrong, but it looks to me like the only difference between the dually and a standard truck is the extension. If so - other than being a little tight , which is true also of the stock hubs - I don't understand why the warn hubs won't fit. Anyone have any experience with this?

7. wyostroke

wyostroke SDD Junior Member

The warn hubs(11690) will fit, but its near impossible to reach all the way in to turn them. I had a friend that did this, and he just built a little tool to reach in and turn them.

8. FINKSTR

Thanks! The tool is a great idea, not only for the Warn hubs but for the stock ones too!

9. RSG

RSG Full Access Member

IIRC, I had to knock the center of the wheel covers out but other than that I can reach right in and twist....

10. FINKSTR

Looks like all it takes is a little ingenuity to make it work. Thanks!