Maybe Trans problem

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son in law just bought a 99 psd auto 4wd 220k.It seems to have a rattle simular to bb's in tin can at idle.I went under it and couldn't find any thing loose(heat shields,dust cover,ect). Sounds like its at the front of the trans.The noise goes away when you apply power in gear going down the road. any ideas appreciated.

probear

Whoresetmytitle?
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that is "normal" for that year transmission. It's the infamous "marbles-in-a-can" sound, and rather loud at that. Unless it's slipping or otherwise causing a problem, it's probably OK to drive.
Now, that being said, I would add a spin-on external filter prior to the transmission cooler. Usually, the recommended practice on a used system is to add the filter after the cooler, BUT, if the torque converter detonates, you would have to replace the cooler if you don't have the filter first. (Voice of experience.....)
Since I had the filter, I was able to just replace the torque converter and be back on the road. (That was 25K miles ago.)
BTW, if you ever have to replace the cooler, get the V-10 cooler instead. It's direct bolt on, with minor adjustments to the transmission lines. It is about 50% bigger than the original one.

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probear eluded to it but didn't come right out and say it...

The problem is the torque converter. The sound goes away after the TC locks up... thats why you don't hear it at times.

Like probear said.. it usually isn't a problem and a lot of people don't even realize that they have a problem. BUT... If your concerned or bothered by it, now would be a good time to get a new one.

probear

Whoresetmytitle?
Reaction score
Dieselmaster said:
Probear eluded to it but didn't come right out and say it...

The problem is the torque converter. The sound goes away after the TC locks up... thats why you don't hear it at times.

Like probear said.. it usually isn't a problem and a lot of people don't even realize that they have a problem. BUT... If your concerned or bothered by it, now would be a good time to get a new one.

OOPS :sorry My bad.......
Can't believe I bounced all around that without directly saying it was the TQ.... :dunno

BTW, because I had the external filter and a trans temp gauge, I knew that there was a problem before it totally broke. The crap from the disentigrating TQ started clogging the external filter resulting in higher trans temps. Gotta luv having a trans temp gauge... :sweet

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a new TC make the rattle go away? Pro -n- Diesel thanks for the input.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, a new TC would make the rattle go away. Ford has a TSB for this exact problem, and the "solution" is to replace the TC.

Fire Rooster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What tranny temps are you running normally? and what temps were you seeing before it had a problem?

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probear said:
Gotta luv having a trans temp gauge... :sweet

Some of the newer trucks have a factory one so it should be "You gotta love a REAL trans temp guage!" :D :D

Mine never totally went in my truck... as soon as I figured out that there was a problem I took it in and had the TC replaced... it wasn't until afterwards that I figured out that I should have opted for a nice triple disc, billet from Suncoast.

Oh well, as soon as this one starts making noise or giving me problems, it will be a new Suncoast complete.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58