MBRP Exhaust

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Friday
I put on my 4" MBRP exhaust with kitty intact.
HMMMM
wasnt ear as nice of fit and finish as the magnaflow on my 7.3
However I did like the pipe going over the axle from the muffler is all one piece, made it easy to align
the turbo downpipe was a major PITA to get aligned so it didnt hit the body pinch welds and the bolt heads on the cross members.
also the factory down pipe what a turkey it was coming out.
good thing i had my ryobi cutzall recip saw. vrooom like butter
rest of system went together real easy.

as for temps
right off it ran 150 cooler at 65 mph pulled 550-650 at 83F outside temps
cooled down to below 400 at idle relativley fast , under 2 minutes
seems to have helped the turbo lag, which surprises me. it spools up noticably faster. really
the in dash mpg gauge gained 2 mpg at 72 mph over a 20 mile trip
the 2000 rpm droan is gone gone gone
sound is not loud, has a nice deep rumble at first start then the turbine kicks in to a nice low whine.
accelerating.... with rear window open sounds nice and with a smooth rumble, not offensive
with windows closed I cant even hear it.
and the 5" tip i know added .5 mpg just because it looks so good

some items that needed a slight modification
there is a wire harness at teh end of the passenger side valve cover that is wrapped with black convoluted tubing on its entire length except for teh last 2 inches. this part is wide open to the extreme heat from the turbo downpipe
so I wrapped the rear and one jus tforward of it in a black membrane reflective tape and manufactured a heat sheild 3" x 6" to deflect downpipe heat away from teh wires.
and I shined a flashlight thru the kitty. I could see light although it was very dim

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
So the installation wasnt as smoothe as you'd have liked but the results are good? Sounds like a moderate success story with a positive result.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Yep
I was a little dis apointed in the install compared to the magnflow on the previous truck
fishing the downpipe up really was challenging and i have made three adjustment runs now to move things from touching the frame or bolts.
i really like the fact the drone is gone. it drove me crazy in the mornings :eek: -mad
it was dinged up pretty good from UPS dropping it at every terminal. but I cant blame mbrp for that. the flanges straightened out ok.
one more thing the stock muffler must weigh 100 pounds. so i gained a few more pounds of payload.

95_stroker said:
So the installation wasnt as smoothe as you'd have liked but the results are good? Sounds like a moderate success story with a positive result.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14