Mercon SP

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
UHHHHH
who has it?
I noticed my old mercon fluid is not recommended for the torqueshift. I had 11 qts to return to wally world, but they dont have mercon sp
Thanks

sorry about the speeeellin errors earlier this dislexia is killing me :roflmao

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
What would Mercon SP do to an older transmission such as the one in my 2000? I didn't have time last week to change my transmission oil so I dropped it off at the dealer for a flush. When I got home I looked at the receipt and they charged me for 7 quarts of Mercon SP. I went out and checked the oil and it was full so I know the 7 quart deal was a clerical error. I then called them and asked them why they put SP in it and they said they would call me right back. When they returned my call they said that they talked to the mechanic and he put Mercon in it but the counter person hit the wrong code in the computer when they were doing the paperwork. Since they had 7 quarts(1/3 of what it takes)on the paperwork I am sure they SP could be an error too but what would SP do if it was in there? I made a 700 mile trip this weekend pulling a 21ft Jetcraft and the transmission worked just fine but I am still wondering. I remember now why I like doing all my own maintenance. I need more spare time.......

teamroper60

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the actual differences between Mercon and Mercon SP are, but I seem to recall reading where someone had a dealer put Mercon in their TorqShift by mistake. IIRC, they said the tranny shifted kinda harsh. That would seem to indicate to me that SP is "slipperier" (is that a word??) than Mercon.

If what I am hearing is correct, it will all be a moot point in the near future, as Ford is supposed to be putting out a "Mercon 1" ATF, which is supposed to replace all previous versions of Mercon and be compatible with all Ford automatics.

F350R

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
teamroper60 said:
I'm not sure what the actual differences between Mercon and Mercon SP are, but I seem to recall reading where someone had a dealer put Mercon in their TorqShift by mistake. IIRC, they said the tranny shifted kinda harsh. That would seem to indicate to me that SP is "slipperier" (is that a word??) than Mercon.

If what I am hearing is correct, it will all be a moot point in the near future, as Ford is supposed to be putting out a "Mercon 1" ATF, which is supposed to replace all previous versions of Mercon and be compatible with all Ford automatics.

Can AmsOil ATF be used in the TorgShift, has or is anyone using it in the TorgShift? I am about at the time to change mine and would rather use AmsOil than getting ripped at the dealer.

teamroper60

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Can AmsOil ATF be used in the TorgShift, has or is anyone using it in the TorgShift? I am about at the time to change mine and would rather use AmsOil than getting ripped at the dealer.

I have asked a couple of Amsoil dealers that very question and the answer is no. Amsoil does not make an ATF that is compatible with the TorqShift. They have no plans to make one either, since they have also heard of the rumored Mercon 1. They say there will be an Amsoil equivalent to the Mercon 1, however.

F350R

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
teamroper60 said:
I have asked a couple of Amsoil dealers that very question and the answer is no. Amsoil does not make an ATF that is compatible with the TorqShift. They have no plans to make one either, since they have also heard of the rumored Mercon 1. They say there will be an Amsoil equivalent to the Mercon 1, however.

Thanks, I guess I will have to visit the dealer on this one.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Crumm said:
What would Mercon SP do to an older transmission such as the one in my 2000? I didn't have time last week to change my transmission oil so I dropped it off at the dealer for a flush. When I got home I looked at the receipt and they charged me for 7 quarts of Mercon SP. I went out and checked the oil and it was full so I know the 7 quart deal was a clerical error. I then called them and asked them why they put SP in it and they said they would call me right back. When they returned my call they said that they talked to the mechanic and he put Mercon in it but the counter person hit the wrong code in the computer when they were doing the paperwork. Since they had 7 quarts(1/3 of what it takes)on the paperwork I am sure they SP could be an error too but what would SP do if it was in there? I made a 700 mile trip this weekend pulling a 21ft Jetcraft and the transmission worked just fine but I am still wondering. I remember now why I like doing all my own maintenance. I need more spare time.......

According to this link:
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/supplier/quickref/atf.pdf
MERCON, MERCON SP & MERCON V are not interchangeable. I sure hope it was a typo by the counter person. Save the receipt!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
hheynow said:
MERCON, MERCON SP & MERCON V are not interchangeable. I sure hope it was a typo by the counter person. Save the receipt!
I have the receipt and will be getting a new transmission if anything goes wrong. So far it works just like it used to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg