Monster Electric Fan

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Budro, you are correct in needing to know if the rating of the fan is under load or no static pressure. I dont know how Ford rates the clutching fan at 5700 cfm, if it is at 0" static pressure or what? I know the dual fan setup mentioned above is 5500 cfm at 0" static pressure.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the mid 90's taurus fans (3.8L) are some very heavy duty suckers they are some serious power pullers as well. The benefit is that they are a 2 speed fan. The high speed pulls when running better than 20 amps I belive it is actually rated to pull almost 30 amps and I know that they move some air. Even though the radiator on a taurus, when the high speed kicks in you can actually feel the air being pulled through the grill. I happen to have one sitting around that I was going to use in a dedicated wheeler. There is physical space to fit 2 fans on the inside of our radiator since it is so tall I just haven't figured out the exact mounting. I have plans eventually to try and see what I can make work just have to take care of some safety precautions first. 1. Real Temperature Guage, 2. Upgrade alternator ( Taurus stock is 130 amp)

I can say that the taurus fans are what most of the offroading community swears by for an inexpensive but very reliable fan. Keep in mind that these are in trucks that when put to use will see 5mph tops but will run 3-4000rpm out of small block V8's for hours on end and with one of the major wheeling spots being moab utah in the middle of the desert I can't say that anyone I know of running on has had any major overheating issues other than those who didn't supply the motor with enough power and burned up relays or switches.

I think it is possible in any climate in north america towing heavy loads to run with just an electric fan(s) Though before attempting such I would definatley want to be running a real temperature guage not the POS in our dashes. because I can tell you that by the time I get to "M" or "A" I'm going to be worried and by the time it made it over to the red area I'm sure I'd have an overheated motor.

The key to any cooling system is shrouds if you take a look at any pulling fan you will notice a fan shroud around the fan that prevents it from pulling air from behind the fan. This is an absoloute requirement especially on vehicles with static resistance through the a/c, and radiator, and even possibly an intercooler. They provide enough resistance that it's easier to pull the air from back behind the fan around instead of the cool air infront of the stack. If you have a good shroud you prevent this. Another step that you will find in many applications is some sort of foam insulation or rubber stripping between each component in the stack this ensures that the air flows though instead of around each component instead of only through the one closest to the fan.

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have asked about weather the 5600cfm on the stock fan is at 0" of static air pressure or what... no one seems to know...

The fans linked in the post above actually state something like 3600-5500cfm... they never give max rpm's on the fans and they only state what the CFM is at 0" of SAP...

I have spoke with fluidyne about using their fans.... they have a 16" fan that at 2200 rpm's is moving around 2200cfm. dual's would put you around 4400 cfm... They could not give me a number on the air pressure drop coming through the radiator of a stock truck.. but they did tell me that their radiator actually has a higher drop than the stock does... but their radiator is more efficient so it will cool better....

But back on topic... The fluidyne's drop off pretty quick when SAP rises.. I would be willing ot bet that most of these fans are the same and that is the reason they don't publish those numbers...

But the Fluidyne drops like this
.00" = 2197cfm
.20" = 1879cfm
.40" = 1319cfm
.60" = 518cfm

As you can see the more SAP the less productive the fans are. They told me there would be no problem with the fans ability to keep the radiator cool but the Intercooler and AC condensor would be affected .... to what extent they can't say.

I have tried to find the SAP drop through a condenser and could only find references to air conditioners and venting units... most of them talk about a .20"-.50" drop through the coils.... but that is an ac unit with one condensor wrapped around it.

Fluidyne also says that at 30mph there is more air moving through the radiator than the fan can move. So past that point the fan is really not doing anything.

I know others have tried different electrical fans and burned them up because the SAP put such a load on the fan that it worked it to hard. But we have used the fluidyne fans for years off-road racing and have come in with the radiator so full of silt that there was no apperent air movement taking place... the fans were still turning even though they themselves were covered in silt also. We have never had to replace a fluidyne fan. So I don't think the SAP would cause enough of a load on the fans to hurt them.

But I don't know if they would move enough air to properly cool an intercoolered truck.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Dieselmeister said:
Fluidyne also says that at 30mph there is more air moving through the radiator than the fan can move. So past that point the fan is really not doing anything.

I think its innovative that JOAT is using the VSS to deactivate the electric fan he has installed at speeds above 30 MPH.

I wanted to run an experiment this spring while it was still cool out and remove the fan altogether, but it will have to wait untill later this fall and I will most likely run it that way throughout the winter.

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I think its innovative that JOAT is using the VSS to deactivate the electric fan he has installed at speeds above 30 MPH.

I wanted to run an experiment this spring while it was still cool out and remove the fan altogether, but it will have to wait untill later this fall and I will most likely run it that way throughout the winter.

Did JOAT give you any idea where and how he tapped into the VSS. I had seen his posts on that set up and was getting the funds to do it. But hadn't heard of this way to activate the fan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14