More smoke than normal

Making Strides

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 08 with egr, and dpf delete, cold air intake, and a sct livewire tuner. Tune has been set on high or extreme for over 38,000 miles. Never really saw much black smoke, very little unless I got on it. Have not changed my driving or towing habits.

I have noticed lately I am smoking thicker black smoke pretty heavy after a dead stop.

I had the dealership do the injector clean/vaccum. I know the change started after this, just not how soon.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome to SDD Making Strides. Have you scanned the truck since this smoking started? Is your Service Engine lite on? How many miles total on your truck?

Dave :dunno

Making Strides

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome. No codes or lights. 77,112 is the mileage. I just reprogrammed it down to a lower setting, towing, and was going to run it like that for the day then change it back? I guess I'm throwing stuff at the wall to see what will stick.

The Lip

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Havent posted in a long time.
My 2008 has also started smoking excessively. SO bad when I go down the x-way people who are driving behind me are starting to flip me off thinking I'm burning oil or whatever. Taking it in to Ford tomorrow.
A guy I know has a 2008 Chevy duramax diesel and claims he has NO smoke EVER coming out of the tail pipe! Is this possible? If yes, HOW does Chevy acccomplish this?
S -

Tman123

That One Guy
Reaction score
Havent posted in a long time.
My 2008 has also started smoking excessively. SO bad when I go down the x-way people who are driving behind me are starting to flip me off thinking I'm burning oil or whatever. Taking it in to Ford tomorrow.
A guy I know has a 2008 Chevy duramax diesel and claims he has NO smoke EVER coming out of the tail pipe! Is this possible? If yes, HOW does Chevy acccomplish this?
S -

Maybe Chevy started using the DPF system before the other two? :dunno

Travis

The Lip

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Maybe Chevy started using the DPF system before the other two? :dunno

Travis

No they (chevy) started (as did all manufacturers) in 2008. I need to know how they accomplish no smoking during re-gen? I can't take the smoke anymore. I actually was given the finger by a driver behind me yesterday who was driving in rush hour traffic with all the excessive smoke that was pouring out. Drivers keep thinking the truck has blown an engine or head gasket or something. It's getting way too embarrasing. I think its time to go back to a gas engine.
Someone 's got to have an answer (serious answer).

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Take it into the Dealer. The emissions are covered for 100,000 miles under warranty. It is FORD's problem. Take the turner off first.

Dave :)

The Lip

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dave I have no tuner on my truck it is bone stock. Scheduled appt. for this
Friday.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Sorry The Lip. I got another posting confused with yours. Glad you got her going in!

Dave :)

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that problem on my 08. The dealer told me there was a programing problem, they reflashed the truck and have not had any problem for a year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track