My new 7.3

Doodler12

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought a 1992 manual 7.3L superduty (F-450) it only has 114,000 miles on it and is a great truck so far. I was just wondering if there were any tips, tricks, and recommendations that anyone could give me on this truck. This is my first diesel, I have been good at working on my gas engines on my cars but don't even know where to start on this one. Also I was wondering on this particular model if there is anything that I should look out for or check. Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I had an IDI 7.3 in my last truck, a "93. The only thing I can recall is Hot starting problems = Injection pump rebuild or replacing. These trucks are bullet proof!! Change your oil every 5,000 miles like clock work and you will be driving it a long time.

Dave

tractorman86

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i've got a 91 7.3 idi and love it, a pyrometer is the best investment wheather it is turboed or N/A, the next best thing you can do for it is open up the exhaust and run a better "ram air" tube from the front of the truck. this will keep the engine running cooler and stronger. oilburners.net is the sister sight of this one and there is a lot of great guys and great info over there. there is not many IDI guys left over here

Doodler12

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Hey Tractorman,
Could you tell me more about the ram air stuff. There is no air coming from outside the engine compartment that I can see. The air filter area is just has an open hole where in gas engines would normally have the airbox attached to it. Is this normal? and I missing something here?

Doodler12

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey Tractorman,
Could you tell me more about the ram air stuff. There is no air coming from outside the engine compartment that I can see. The air filter area is just has an open hole where in gas engines would normally have the airbox attached to it. Is this normal? and I missing something here?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track