My Radio Saga

ArlieEdwards

Arlie
Reaction score
Since Mark, Bill and maybe Tbar are on here, I will update you guys on my ham radio saga.

As you know, I bought the Icom 2720 and then promptly drove under a low limb and knocked the antenna off my truck. It is a Diamond SG7900 ANMO Dual Band 2/440. It is fabricated with a coil in the base, another phase coil above that, a capacator and another phase coil at the last stinger. It merely broke the mount and I thought the antenna was OK. Wrong. I ordered another trunk lip mount and installed it at the back edge of the hood. I was still not getting out over about 3 miles from the repeater here in Wills Point. I took it to a member of my club and we discovered that the top phase coil was not getting continuity through it. I ordered another coil and capacator. It helped, but now I can only get out about 6 - 8 miles from the repeater. I took it back to the member with the meters, and he is not sure what is wrong. He thinks now that there might be a discontinuity in the base coil. I am not sure, because, his meters did not seem to be acting like I think they should, and he might be out of his area of expertise. Tbar suggested another member of my club, and I am now in the process of setting up a tme to get with him. I really would like to find out for sure what is wrong with it before I go replacing parts. I will update you guys when I find out something.

One thing that surprised me is that when I knocked it off, I was backing up. Which means I was not going very fast. The antenna merely popped the mount and fell to the ground. If it did all that damage, it sure seems like those coils are awfully fragile.

:dunno

Arlie

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Arlie, I contacted Jim, KD5HNZ, last night on the radio and told him about your problem. Did he get in contact with you?

The Diamond SG7900 antenna is probably one of the best antennas you can buy.

Unfortuantly it is very expensive antenna to break................... :(

Tbar

ArlieEdwards

Arlie
Reaction score
TBar, I did not get a call from him yet. I tried to go by his place of business today, but could not find it from the directions that another member gave me.

I will try to get in touch with him tonight.

Thanks
Arlie

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Arlie I feel your pain, I have done the same thing, check the base where the cable attaches to the NMO connector, when mine fell it yanked the cable and tore the connection. Replaced the base and all was well again.

K4DZL

ArlieEdwards

Arlie
Reaction score
Thanks John. I did replace the base. I think it might be in the base coil, but before I spend another $37 for a new phase base coil, I want to make sure that is the problem.

KE5DYD

Arlie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track