My Stancor GPR Died :(

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a post to simply say that my Stancor GPR died. When energized there is no current across the large lugs. A bit more research and diagnosing led me to discover that the coil has failed for some reason.

I'm semi-patiently awaiting the brown truck to bring me a replacement. So since I'm waiting I'll postulate reasons for the demise of my Stancor:

According to Stancor the contactor that I/we are using is rated for 200A Continuous 600A Inrush (first 0.5second) in a temperature range of -40-150°F.

The glow plug system pulls 120-160A with an inrush current of around 230-250A

Those seem good however a 150°F max temp range is the limiting factor here in FL in the summer that can be as little as 50°F over ambient temp, granted it's usually not 100°F here on the thermometer but under the hood on an engine with a 203°F thermostat is another story. But then if you talk to Stancor they'll tell you that at lower amperage and short duty cycles the temperature can be increased. So I/we are operating in a grey area for temperature. Mine has been under the hood for at least 8 years now which is far better than the less than 6 months for OE and OE equivalent GPRs.

The other factor that may have contributed to failure is that the off the shelf model is not rated for high vibration. While I'm not an engineer and am not sure what qualifies as high vibration; I'd hazard to guess the top of a PSD would be high vibration.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brandon.

Your Under the Hood Heat & Vibration deductions (of any year GPR) support something I've pondered for a long, long time..... as a Shade-geneering Tech :)

Joe

Last edited: