Question My truck sucks at towing, and here's why

NORFLA444

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I pull a 3 ton TT with a 750# tongue load, which pushes the truck all over the road; installed are torsion style equalizers and a friction sway hitch. When hooked up I can't keep the truck within my lane half the time and is pretty scarry. I've done nearly everything to correct it, including all new steering hard parts and ball joints, poly sway bar and trac bar bushings, bigger tires, Pro Comp single stabilizer and replaced a sticking caliper, but still tows like crap. So, the next step will be

- adjustable trac bar
- new box and pitman arm
- Rancho 9000XL's with My Ride controller
- Hellwig front and rear sway bars
- Pro Comp dual stabilizers
- Firestone R4 Tech or AIRBAGIT base tow kit
-285/65r18 Dueler AT Revos

Which begs the question: anything else to add to this equation?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like tire roll is the problem. The sidewalls of the tire are rolling side to side it will give you that side to side squishy feeling. Look and see if you have E or F rated tires. I got a truck a few years back and they put C rated tire on and it need E rated tires.

It should read 285/65r18 E Dueler AT Revos

xtrahappy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
How does it handle empty? Or with bed loaded? The truck should handle that with very little trouble at all. I`d have to agree about the tires... At least check the air pressure.. It`s simple but overlooked at times.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like tire roll is the problem. The sidewalls of the tire are rolling side to side it will give you that side to side squishy feeling. Look and see if you have E or F rated tires. I got a truck a few years back and they put C rated tire on and it need E rated tires.

It should read 285/65r18 E Dueler AT Revos

How does it handle empty? Or with bed loaded? The truck should handle that with very little trouble at all. I`d have to agree about the tires... At least check the air pressure.. It`s simple but overlooked at times.

Me 3.. on Tires. Not enough tire (mabye pressure too) for the GCVW.( truck loaded + trailor loaded)

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
how much lift is on the truck?
drop on hitch?
tires x4 as well
if its lifted, it can cause sway derived from the blocks and slop on the rear axle
and if the draw bar has a large drop it will also act like a lever to compound the sway

and i know you said its 750 tongue weight....but is it to light on the tongue
or loaded with more weight behind the axles? its tires aired up to spec as well,
some of this might be redundant as you probably have checked these items...sorry if you have and i missed it
and it is really 750 on the tongue? did it get weighed?
hope it helps

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the way the trailer is loaded to will play a really big part too. If you have to much on the back the trailer will lift the front of the trailer and lift the back of the truck too. This will give you that out of control feeling. See if you can load more on the tongue. If you can post a photo on the truck and trailer with what your moving. May see whats going on with that.

NORFLA444

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wow, everyone, thanks for your responses. Since most are similar I'll just do a mass response. Truck is completely stock; no lifts or huge tires.

My tires are 10 ply; had them changed out over the summer to replace a set of 8 plys. Pressure is running max front and 70 rear, filled with nitrogen. I've moved several times and have had to weigh the trailer; 750 tongue. I usually put no more than 300# of cargo inside, mostly clothes and electronics. When loaded the truck only drops about an inch without the equalizers, and they seem to make no difference. Trailer is pretty close to level when hooked up. All trailer tires at 50 psi, bearings in good shape and brakes don't stick.

Unloaded, it will wonder from time to time, and am having the steering box and pitman arm replaced next week.

NORFLA444

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Trailer is a 27' Starcraft bunkhouse.

I've loaded 2 yards of mulch in the bed and it weighed more than the trailer tongue did; it sagged quite a bit more, though I left a pimped out Civic choking on my smoke when the light turned green (guess he should have gotten off of the Blackberry and not stopped within an inch of my back bumper; he had to lock up the brakes to keep from hitting me)

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I see were this is going.
One do you have a load leveling hitch? Do you have the ball hitch with two arms going back on each side to the trailer.
Two you need a sway bar on the trailer to truck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64