need help for a friend

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
i was helping a friend install his 6637 from riffraff and found this inside his intake path to the turbo.

Does anyone know what can cause this? He had some gunk in his airbox by some sort of drain tube. he also has a K&N replaement filter.
Also,
does anyone know where to get a good replacement for the orange tube? his is in bad shape and needs replaced asap.
View attachment 11046

View attachment 11047

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked at the stealership for the orange part...$100. That was a year ago, or so. The thing sticking up is the crankcase vent (I think) that puts oil in there. The K&N is responsible for all the dirt! You said asap on the orange boot, but occationally they are on ebay, much cheaper.

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep that is from the crank case vent. You can see a pic of mine in my photobucket pics. Hopefully that new filter will keep that mess out of there. Mine wasn't that bad.

Some people do a ccv mod to a racor filter, or vent it behind the truck...which I don't really like, so this doesn't happen. The oil gets all of the air intake comonents soaked with oil and cause things to blow off.

.....heres mine. You can see my intercooler pipes soaked with oil residue

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its off of his 95' 7.3. I didnt realize how different his engine was from mine.

That explains why that ccv looks so different from mine. The intake system between the early vs. later 7.3's are totally different.

And to better explain the ccv issue, oil soaked air is sprayed up through that tube which gets the intake walls covered in oil. Any small particles that get in will start to stick to the walls and gunk up.

Last edited:

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The orange boot between the breather adapter and the turbo was prone to ripping at the hose clamps. It is no longer available (hasn't been for a long time ... for good reason). Ford started selling an upgraded kit that contained the newer style black hose (much sturdier), new breather adapter and bracket, breather hose and all clamps and associated hardware. It lists for about $125, but is available for about $82 from Tousley Parts Depot. I bought the kit for both my old 94 and my current 97. The is also an aftermarket hose from IntakeHoses.com (I think it runs $57 or so). I opted to stay with the stock setup for just a bit more. Cheers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14