Need help with 01 E450

ahp691

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with my 01 Ford E450 box truck. While driving along, it lost serious power and put out a lot of blue smoke. It didn't die but all it would do is idle, we got it off the road. While I was waiting for the hook to arrive, about 10 minutes I restarted the truck and it ran fine. The wrecker got there and i asked him to follow me. I barley got a 1/2 mile when it did the same thing. It was towed to a gargae that i don't use normaly but it does have a good rep for working on diesels. They fixed it the next day. It had a code for excessive back pressure in the exhaust and the sensor on the transmission that tells the computer whether your in park or drive was bad. No codes pertaing to why it wouldn't run. They changed the Cam position sensor. The next day it broke down again with the same symptons. Got it towed again. They haven't touched the truck in 6 working days. I need it back. Any ideas what is wrong with it. It still sounds like the Cam position sensor by reading this thread. The E series has no tachometer to use that trouble shooting method of watching the needle bounce. When this problem happens, it loses power and smokes, I first thought it had 1 bad injector. It seemed to me to be running on 7 cylinders then loading up to run real rough. If you let it idle at this time it will smooth out and run on 8. Just don't try to tach it up. Anyone know a good ford diesel shop near willington CT? I have had very bad luck with the ford dealers around here. Other info, this 01 has the 7.3 with 37000 miles on it, a rebuilt tranny at 34000 miles. I just filled it up with diesel at the start of this problem. I have been buying fuel there 20 years with no problems. Fuel filter isn't over 4 months old.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
ahp691 said:
I have a problem with my 01 Ford E450 box truck. While driving along, it lost serious power and put out a lot of blue smoke. It didn't die but all it would do is idle, we got it off the road. While I was waiting for the hook to arrive, about 10 minutes I restarted the truck and it ran fine. The wrecker got there and i asked him to follow me. I barley got a 1/2 mile when it did the same thing. It was towed to a gargae that i don't use normaly but it does have a good rep for working on diesels. They fixed it the next day. It had a code for excessive back pressure in the exhaust and the sensor on the transmission that tells the computer whether your in park or drive was bad. No codes pertaing to why it wouldn't run. They changed the Cam position sensor. The next day it broke down again with the same symptons. Got it towed again. They haven't touched the truck in 6 working days. I need it back. Any ideas what is wrong with it. It still sounds like the Cam position sensor by reading this thread. The E series has no tachometer to use that trouble shooting method of watching the needle bounce. When this problem happens, it loses power and smokes, I first thought it had 1 bad injector. It seemed to me to be running on 7 cylinders then loading up to run real rough. If you let it idle at this time it will smooth out and run on 8. Just don't try to tach it up. Anyone know a good ford diesel shop near willington CT? I have had very bad luck with the ford dealers around here. Other info, this 01 has the 7.3 with 37000 miles on it, a rebuilt tranny at 34000 miles. I just filled it up with diesel at the start of this problem. I have been buying fuel there 20 years with no problems. Fuel filter isn't over 4 months old.
I think it may be water in your fuel or bad fuel, but?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
ahp691,

I split your post away from the CPS thread in hopes of it getting more views and maybe some more help for you. Your symptoms dont really sound to me like a CPS problem, they usually work, or you are dead in the water. But you may have an injector problem, IDM problem or ICP problem laying in the weeds. Hopefully someone else will add to this and we can get you back on the road again shortly.

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58