Question Need help with home electrical

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new ventilation fan for my garage so that I dont have to worry about welding fumes as much. After having two guys blow me off that were supposed to help with the wiring, I have decided to do it myself.

The fan is a 110v in line centrifugal fan, I have already ran the ducting and everything is ready to go except for power.

I wanted to pull power from an existing outlet that I have above my work bench. The switch is a rotary style 3-way fan switch " hi-med-lo". The switch has two black wires and one green wire which I assume is a ground.

The outlet is the first in a series of outlets on the same circuit. It has two black wires and two white wires and a bare wire.

I have some romex with a black wire, a white wire and a bare wire.

If anyone can explain how to get this thing wired up, that would be great. My bro-in-law tried to explain it to me over the phone but my brain just isnt putting things together.

Thanks

Fine69

Reaction score
First thing is turn off the power to the outlet you plan to take power from for your fan. In the outlet, the 2 black wires are the hot wires, the 2 white wires are the neutral, and the bare wires are the ground. Take a piece of Romex, the same gauge as the outlet, to the location you want your switch. Take a second piece of romex from the switch location to the fan. In the switch box, splice the 2 bare wires from the 2 Romex's to the green from the switch. Fold those up in the box. Take the 2 white, neutral wires from the romex and splice them together with a wirenut. Fold the white wires up in the box. Now take the black wire from the romex coming from the outlet and splice it onto 1 of the black wires on the switch, now fold these into the box. Take the last black wire from the romex going to the fan and splice it onto the other black wire on the switch. Now fold this last wire into the box and install your switch into the box. Now for the fan, it should have a Black(hot wire), a white (Neutral wire), and a bare or green ground wire. Splice these wires color for color to the romex from the switch. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, I'm a Registered Journeyman Electrician, it's not as hard as it may sound. Make sure you turn off the power before you start.

Last edited:

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how many hp is the motor on the fan? Depending on the size you might want to consider running a new circuit, especially if you plan to run other high draw devices on that series of outlets.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how many hp is the motor on the fan? Depending on the size you might want to consider running a new circuit, especially if you plan to run other high draw devices on that series of outlets.

Good point...

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everybody. I got everything hooked up and working. I ended up drawing a diagram and that really helped.

Thanks again

NJKen

Is a proud new daddy
Reaction score
Wiring is not as hard as we sparky's make it look:sly Just dont tell anyone we told you that! Glad you got it worked out
Ken

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14