Need thoughts on dealer pricing on brakes and bearings

Jonathan Joseph

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum. Hope I can contribute. 2012 F-250 6.7 2WD crew cab long bed with gooseneck hitch and hydraulic lift gate.

I have my truck at the dealer now, had a caliper seize up on a long trip and now need calipers, rotors and pads at least. They want to do the bearings while in there which I agree with at 160K. But they are telling me the difference is an extra $600 for the bearings. Seems excessive to me considering they already have it apart. Something I'm missing? I used to be a mechanic, but maybe my sense of pricing is out of date but I don't think that much.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
By the way they're saying about $1000 for one caliper, both rotors and pads. fluid etc. blah blah...

Jonathan Joseph

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Called a different dealer and the parts bearings, cups, seals are $154. So they're trying to charge me about $450 to install bearings in an already dis-assembled wheel

john mathis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
With so many YouTube videos and online forums that cover such repairs I would consider doing it yourself. I've replaced all calipers on my 02, never even thought about going to a stealer dealer. The bearing job should be no issue if you have tools and a place to do it. Time is money if you have the time.

eZAK61

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would do it yourself! I did mine a few years ago. Not a bad job, straight forward. In the Chi town burbs, pads, rotor, bearings new should run you about $200.
Depending on what kind of work space and tools you have, and if it is not pitted, you can bring a caliper back to life. Or to save some bucks, buy a reconditioned caliper!

Time wise your looking at 4 to 6 hrs. (again depending on your set up) (and working conditions) :SDD

Gary Brady

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Calipers are an easy replacement job. You undo the two cap screws holding them on, remove the brake line, then replace. You'll need a large hex wrench (allen) and you'll have to bleed the brake system after replacement. I would suggest buying one way brake bleeder screws, such as the Russell Speed Bleeder, so that you bleed them with no help from others. Have you changed your brake fluid lately? May as well do that while you're at it. It will be very easy with the Speed Bleeders. I don't know about the bearings specifically on this truck since I've only owned 4WDs, but bearing replacement or repacking is generally pretty easy, although very dirty since you have to handle the grease in your hands. As others have said, youtube will instruct you on how to remove and repack/replace the bearing.

If you don't work on your own truck much, this is a good project to get your feet wet.