New guy, old truck....

wikked

Open 24hrs
Reaction score
Hi all,

Found this place off OB. Come from the TDR, too.

Have a Dodge also, but it's going on the sell block shortly. Bought the Ford to replace it for the time being.

Anyways, my '97 is all stock down to the hubcaps. Need to do a lil routine repair to the injector o-rings, glow plugs, etc.....typical PS stuff. It's sorta like deja vu.......been away from strokers for about 6 years, it's all coming back to me.

I joined TDS, too but after reading here & at OB I'm thinking maybe I won't be there for too long. :cussing: :D

Dan-

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Dan,

Welcome aboard and congrats on getting back into a PSD. 97's were considered the best year of the pre-superduty era. How many miles are on the rig you bought?

Mike

ChrisMartinTX

97 F-250
Reaction score
yea i know what you mean... TDS is changing, or has changed. not the same group of guys working on trucks, now you have you to talk about injectors to get a reply. i love this site!

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolute first thing you gotta do is CHANGE THAT DOWNPIPE!!!

I'd almost do that before injector O-rings, its THAT BAD!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
This guy has owned PSD's before so he should be "in the know", but on the 94-97 models,,,first thing that has to go is the stock airbox. Not from a performance perspective but rather an engine safeguard standpoint. With the stock airbox you risk "dusting" your turbo and eventually the engine.

wikked

Open 24hrs
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes!!! :thanks

Not only have I owned them but also worked as a diesel mechanic in various heavy truck dealers for about 8 years. One of the dealers sold Fords so I'm intimately familiar with these engines--remember the fiascos with oil leaks and 7 injector o-ring updates? Yuppers......had to do all that BS & get paid warranty times....oh the fun. -mad

Anyways, to make a long story short I bought a Dodge in '99, moved to South Dakota, and changed career fields--industrial maintenance is my game now. So, in short, I know the problems & most of the solutions, but there's always more info to learn. After all for the last 5 years I haven't hardly seen under the hood of a '94-'97 Ford diesel pickup.

Any & all advice, tips, tricks, or just plain diesel 101 education is welcomed. Hopefully I can add something to the mix as well.

The truck has 144,443 miles on it as of this evening.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
wikked said:
I'm intimately familiar with these engines.
Glad to have you here and glad you know your way around the engine. Be sure to let us know how the repairs are coming.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58