New Super Duty owner!

03F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'm new here, but I've been around these internet forums for a while... ;) I have been searching for a tow rig for my 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon that I've had built up. She's sitting on 41.5" Pitbull Rockers now and while she can drive anywhere I want her to, I was hoping to get something I could use to trailer her to and from the trails so I could ride in some sort of comfort on the way there and not have to worry about breaking something and not being able to get home while I'm wheeling.

So, on to the truck. I found a 2003 F250 Ext Cab, long bed, FX4, with the 7.3L Power Stroke diesel. She has 244k on the odometer, but it's clean inside and out. It had a catch in the steering when I got it, but I pulled the steering stabilizer and that problem was solved. She's smooth now.

I have a few questions for everyone. It has a Banks Brake installed, but the switch does nothing except light up. Does anyone have one of these on a similar truck that can help me diagnose the problem?

Also, my cruise control doesn't work always. It seems as though it wants the truck to "warm up" before it'll stay engaged. Is this a diesel thing, a common problem on this generation of truck, or do I just have a screwed up cruise control?

Next, this truck had a turbo pressure gauge and an exhaust temp gauge installed when I got it. What PSI is normal for this truck? So far, I've only seen about 5-6 psi. Does that sound about right? As far as exhaust temps, what is normal/high?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions. This is my first diesel and I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks in advance for any input.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome 03F350!! I can't help you on your engine problems. Your boost sounds very low to me. 20 lbs would be more in line. On the Cruise Control; is your speedo working properly? Your Speed Sensor, located on top of the rear pumpkin may be bad if the speedo isn't working right. Normal exhaust temps are below 1200°. Anything under 1200 is good. Over 1200 you can burn pistons.

Dave :thumbs

03F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
:welcome 03F350!! I can't help you on your engine problems. Your boost sounds very low to me. 20 lbs would be more in line. On the Cruise Control; is your speedo working properly? Your Speed Sensor, located on top of the rear pumpkin may be bad if the speedo isn't working right. Normal exhaust temps are below 1200°. Anything under 1200 is good. Over 1200 you can burn pistons.

Dave :thumbs

Thanks, Dave. My speedo is accurate. Had the GPS with me today and they were within 1mph of each other.

Exhaust temps have been between 300-5/600ish so far. Thanks for the info, I just wondered when I should get worried. :)

As for the boost, with it being that low, does that mean the turbo might be bad, I have a leak somewhere, or ???

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would go cheap and look for a leak. Check the lines from the engine to the boost gauge. Usually a clear poly line about 1/8 inch in diameter. Your speed sensor is good by your test.

Dave :)

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your boost PSI at wide open throttle with a load should be 27-29 psi. It wont get that high if your empty until you get into the top RPM of second and third gears. Yours sounds like you have a exhaust leak (feeding the hot side of the turbo) or you have a turbo problem, do what DAVEBEN said first before pulling the turbo. When my boost gauge line broke I was still able to get 16 PSI so i doubt it's the gauge line.
Your EGT while doing this should spike up as high as 1100-1200 but should settle in at 600-800 at cruising speed, once again there are factors of weight and grade being pulled that will effect these numbers.
Dont know exactly on the Exhaust brake but it's a simple set up when you throw the switch it sends power to a solenoid that should engage (move the actuator) the brake so check the power at the switch first (easy) and then move out to the solenoid and check power (a little more difficult)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
or the intercooler boots could be leaking..
check for a dirt or oil stain at the boots where the pipes connect to everything else.. wouldn't hurt to pull them off and wash them in Dawn dish soap and hot water..

just running down the road, you're not going to run a whole heck of a lot of boost..
and for that matter, just in daily driver you should see below 900-ish degrees EGT, and yeah, keep them below 1200 when towing..

Intercooler boots...
these things..
see here how it's dirty and oil to the right of the boot? Boost leak.

03F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
or the intercooler boots could be leaking..
check for a dirt or oil stain at the boots where the pipes connect to everything else.. wouldn't hurt to pull them off and wash them in Dawn dish soap and hot water..

just running down the road, you're not going to run a whole heck of a lot of boost..
and for that matter, just in daily driver you should see below 900-ish degrees EGT, and yeah, keep them below 1200 when towing..

Intercooler boots...
these things..
see here how it's dirty and oil to the right of the boot? Boost leak.

Now, THAT'S what I needed... pics! Haha... I'm a visual person. I know just enough about these things (autos in general) to get myself in trouble and this is my first diesel ever so I'm really learning here.

Here are a couple of new developments. Today, it's raining and coming out of a curve I got on it a little bit. I didn't notice the tires spinning, but they might have a little. I did notice the boost go up to the ~10psi range. Is that promising? I mean, is that a sign that maybe I'm just not getting into the rpm range that I need to hit to get the boost? I fully intend to investigate a little based on all of your info, but I've just been too busy so far.

Another thing, I've noticed that when I first start up the truck in the morning, there's what seems to me to be a "vacuum leak" for lack of a better word. It's not an air leak as you would expect from an air line, I know that sound well from the OBA system on my Jeep. The funny thing is, it goes away completely if I simply TOUCH the gas pedal... errr, I mean the diesel pedal... accelerator, heck whaddya call it in this thing? Haha... Anyway, like I said, it goes away when I touch the pedal, not even enough to accelerate or even rev the engine if I'm in park or neutral. Also, I think (I haven't confirmed this for 100% sure yet) that it goes away once my cruise control is active.

Does that make any sense whatsoever?

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
the noise you are describing sounds like the exhaust backpressure valve (EBV) closing. it is nothing more than a butterfly vavle in the exhaust that closes to help warm the engine. now i dont know if those are still used with the banks brake?? And that usually only opens in coleder temps untill engine is warmed up or ya hit the brake. there is a service advisory on the cruise circuit also. You should go to the dealer and have them run the VIN, there are a couple other service advisorys also like the Cam sensor

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys, his 03 is a 7.3, and I didn't think the 7.3s pulled as much boost as do the 6.0s. If I am right then his 10 PSI should be right in line.
Doug

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track