new to a 7.3

95talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i just put a deposit on a 2002 F-250 7.3 liter turbo diesel pickup. Extended cab short bed, small lift and it has a full exhaust (turbo back). Stock intake. Truck has 31k on it. seems really clean. i dont know what the stock turbo looks like so i cant tell if its factory or not.. im going up to take one last look at the truck before i actually buy it and i want some pointers on things to look for. stuff that goes wrong, aftermarket parts that any new person to a diesel motor wouldnt notice etc... it also has a boost gauge and i was wondering what factory boost it off the factory boost selinoid so i can check that also. any help is apprecieated. thanks guys;tu

(im not new to mechanics and engines and turbos but im sure you guys def know alot more about diesels then me i mostly experimented with turbo 4 cylinders.. so once again any help is apprecieated)

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
first off, 31k seems really really low mileage for that model year. i would drive it and see how the tranny shifts. maybe also get an oasis report on it that will tell you all of the service that has been done on it at any ford dealership. good luck!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i just put a deposit on a 2002 F-250 7.3 liter turbo diesel pickup. Extended cab short bed, small lift and it has a full exhaust (turbo back). Stock intake. Truck has 31k on it. seems really clean. i dont know what the stock turbo looks like so i cant tell if its factory or not.. im going up to take one last look at the truck before i actually buy it and i want some pointers on things to look for. stuff that goes wrong, aftermarket parts that any new person to a diesel motor wouldnt notice etc... it also has a boost gauge and i was wondering what factory boost it off the factory boost selinoid so i can check that also. any help is apprecieated. thanks guys;tu

(im not new to mechanics and engines and turbos but im sure you guys def know alot more about diesels then me i mostly experimented with turbo 4 cylinders.. so once again any help is apprecieated)

Be Cautious. 31K in 6 years ? Something doesnt smell right. Is this PSD on a Lot ? A FORD Lot ? Or Honest Bubba's Trucks for Less ? A private party?

Run the VIN # thru one of the on-line VIN # research sites.

Ask some Strait up questions: Has it been wrecked? Been in a Flood ? Why only 31K in 6 years. An "I DON'T KNOW" to any of those questions ? I'd keep look'n

:dunno

95talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks guys... the story i got from the used car dealer (bad news already i know) was that it was a NY fireman's truck and he got messed up in the big bank fire recently and was put into a koma (sp) and wouldnt be able to drive the truck anymore so they auctioned it off and that where this guy got it from... when i drove it i punched it all the way to about 60ish and when it ****fed it went in quick and a little hard... but driving normally it shifted smooth. looking under the truck it seemed that by the transfer case behind the trans it seems a little damp like oily but nothin was dripping before or after my 15 minute test ride from hell hehe... from what i could tell it has never been in an accident no over spray all lines matched etc... so let me know what you guys think... if anyonne is from the long island area and would want to meet me out there to look at it that would be even better but if not its no big deal... once again let me know what you think... any help is always apprecieated...

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Seems like a decent truck. If the price is not whacked out buy it. You can't go wrong with a Super Duty. Most common major failure on a pre 2003 truck is the trans and most common part to replace on the 7.3 is the cps:D , next to the oil filter.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks guys... the story i got from the used car dealer (bad news already i know) was that it was a NY fireman's truck and he got messed up in the big bank fire recently and was put into a koma (sp) and wouldnt be able to drive the truck anymore so they auctioned it off and that where this guy got it from... when i drove it i punched it all the way to about 60ish and when it ****fed it went in quick and a little hard... but driving normally it shifted smooth. looking under the truck it seemed that by the transfer case behind the trans it seems a little damp like oily but nothin was dripping before or after my 15 minute test ride from hell hehe... from what i could tell it has never been in an accident no over spray all lines matched etc... so let me know what you guys think... if anyonne is from the long island area and would want to meet me out there to look at it that would be even better but if not its no big deal... once again let me know what you think... any help is always apprecieated...

Pull at least a CARFAX and if able an OASIS on it...... You can also run the VIN at DMV to find out who actually owned it in many states if you are so inclined.

You know better than to beleive a Used Car salesman or manager...... Next week it will have been owned by a little old lady that only drove it to church on sunday.;)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

MAN O' MAN..

That Used Car Guy should be in Tele-Marketing.

NY Fireman: Carry over from 9-11 Heroic actions. Why couldn't it have been just.. A Fireman ?

BIG Bank fire & Coma: Why a BIG Bank ? Why not just a Fire call, and got hurt.

They: Who were, "They" ?

Just have'n a little fun with the used car guy:) ;) :D

CARFAX & OASIS at a minimum.. after that story.

How would he know all that ??

I've been to a couple Car Auctions.. There's a bit of History about the "UNIT" or ITEM #, but no Personal history about the owner(s).

:dunno

95talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey thanks guys... one last question... about the milage... how easy is it to change the milage (its a digital odometer) and do you think it could have been done to this truck... also with only 31k what are the chances the trans is shot?

95talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i ran a carfax on the truck and it was in a small accident and the damage wasnt even fixed... im going to go up and take one last look at it and see if i can catch something i missed possibly some over spray or something.

JRJ04

Reaction score
hey thanks guys... one last question... about the milage... how easy is it to change the milage (its a digital odometer) and do you think it could have been done to this truck... also with only 31k what are the chances the trans is shot?

I believe all that has to be done is disconnecting a fuse so i would be really weary of that...id take it to a reputable ford dealership and have a mechanic look it over...31k is still awfully sketchy to me...and id have to agree with the others...its sounds like that used car salesman is full of :bs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58