New (to me!) X and a problem

greencoug

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just picked up a 2000 Excursion 4x4 Limited, and on the drive home I noticed a weird thing. Whenever I would go over any medium to large dips in the interstate, the front end would lift like a 1000hp mustang with a stock suspension launching in a drag race. (the front left bounces noticably higher than right.) I intially thought that the shocks were bad but there is 0 leakage aroung the shock body and I can't do the normal "blown shock test" (jump up and down and see how long it takes to stop). My 200 lb frame isn't enough to get it moving. I did notice that the drivers side bumpstop is missing though. Could the extra travel be causing it to absorb the bumps better? I'd hate to throw money at it till its fixed. Any help is MORE than appreciated!!!! I know I'm in good hands! Thanks!

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i am not an excursion guy.....but i would say you still have the stock rear springs which are notoriously soft and under supportive, followed by worn out shocks and sway bar bushings.
search the pile for rear springs in the ex there are volumes on the part numbers and results

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First things first you need to get a bumpstop put on it,then you can dial in the suspension.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Here's some Excursion help

Howdy greencoug,the stock suspension on the 4x4 Excursions are absolutely terrible,I give the engineers an "F".:rant

What's most likely happening is your front leaf springs are riding the bumpstops and you'll experience every dip,nook and cranny going down the road(even worse when towing):eek:

The fix is to swap out your front stock leaf springs to a minimum "V" code springs,with this upgrade your front suspension travel will go from near nothing to around 2.5"-3.0" which is what the Excursions should have come with from the factory.:sweet

Next fix,upgrade your shocks all the way around to the Rancho 9 position shocks ,the ever popular Bilstein shocks or others on the market that will slow down the suspension travel,the stock shocks just don't cut it.:rant

Next fix,add a rear sway bar,the most popular brand used amongst(including myself) is Hellwig. The rear sway bar will cancel out the sea sickness some of us get from side to side sway that the Excursions are prone to.:doh:

Next fix is Radius Rods,this unique system will completely 100% stabilize the rear axle from twisting that is a very big issue with Excursions (nuther engineer oversight):doh:

Here are some links to get you started on the road to recovery brother,post up anytime we're here to help;tu

V code spring swap

Radius Rods

greencoug

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Awesome post! Thank you very much! I checked and I only have about 1/2" of clearance between the front spring and bumpstop. I'll be ordering those spring quick! Thanks again. :notworthy :notworthy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58