Help Needed New Turbo, 0 BOOST!!

bern rattler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I installed a new stock turbo & VGT solenoid on my truck this weekend because my Ford Dealership said that it need cleaned or replaced. I figured what the heck & replaced it.

After the install it wouldn't boost at all. Still won't!

We replaced the EBP sensor, the boost sensor, and cleaned the intake and EGR valve. It has a brand new turbo back AFE exhaust; all my filters are new within 2000 miles. I watch my gauge and keep my EGT's down as much as I can, they run up quickly with 0 boost!

One of my buddies said I need to have it reflashed. I read somewhere about disconnecting the batteries for 15 minutes, reconnecting them and turning the key off and on so many times along with the A/C would "relearn" the ECU? Anybody got any ideas before I take it to the dealer??

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
0 psi can be cause by:
an exhaust leak (pre turbo)
boost leak (could be egr valve dumping boost into exhaust, or a ripped boot...)
turbo failure (shaft siezed, broken wheels...)
or a common oversight.......not enough fuel being fed. this could be due to the engine de-rating....check it for faults!

bern rattler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Stroker,
No turbo sound at all at all. I just picked it up from my dealer. They say it's the turbo. I tend to agree. The vanes are stuck. Before I removed the old one it would turn up after a few seconds, like 5 to 20 and I could hear it sing when idling. Sounds like a Prat & Whittney J-52! I LOVE it!
The shop I bought the turbo from wants to R&R it on their dime. The say it's a "brand new turbo" meaning it's been gone through as far as I'm concerned. They did tell me I could watch them take it apart and see why it's not spooling up.
I drop it off in the AM @ the Diesel Shop, we'll see what happens. I'll post back when I get my BABY back!!!!

BTW: My Ford Dealer scanned my truck, checked the oil line going to the turbo for blockage, pulled the EGR valve out and checked it again, tested the VGT solenoid and I don’t know what else. And didn’t charge me a thing!
Thanks for asking....

Last edited:

bern rattler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I got it back Friday and it's running like scalded ape!
Only I could have this kind of luck. Put a new turbo in and have the truck run WORSE than it did before I replaced it! But all is good now!

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
sssoooooo- a new turbo was as good a boat anchor as any right out of the shelf????

or was it something else

bern rattler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Red,
It was the turbo, they figure it sat on the shelf in a warehouse and rusted. I wanted to see it disassembled but the shop wouldn't do it because it needed to be exchanged. Like I said earlier, I figure it was re-manufactured, not a brand new one. Trust me it was a week of PITA for me! But all is well so far.....
BTW, that's real nice brick/paver work!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14