New turbo or rebuild the old one?

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Well looks like the seals in my turbo are leaking a little bit. My truck sat for about a week and a half while doing my full coolant flush and I noticed a puddle of oil coming from my exhaust under the truck. It was coming from the joint half way under my truck where my stacks hook up. I've never done any turbo repairs on it since I've had it. Has almost 297k on it. Was thinkin of just rebuilding the turbo but then thought about just upgrading it. What options do I have when rebuilding or buying a new one? If I rebuild it I would obviously maybe put a new ported housing and turbo wheel in it. Or is it just better to get a new bigger turbo? My view has always been if it needs replaced, upgrade it. Not afraid to spend some money on the old girl. Even thought of goin ahead and doin stage 1 injectors hehe.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If you have that many miles on it, a rebuild is a better choice. The intake wheel and exhaust wheel will be shot. Get the rebuilt turbo.

Dave ;tu

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Yea thats what I was thinkin to. I was lookin at either the new Garret GTP38r or the H2e kit. I like the H2e kit because it can be upgraded if you want to. The garret is a drop in turbo which I also like. Anyone dont either of these turbos? I want to do this right the first time and obviously not be disappointed.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno I'd go with yer.. "If it needs to be replaced, up-grade it" idea.

A GPR38, Ball Bearing Turbo really pumps up a 7.3 ... without Over Do'n it.

Jus' my .03

Joe

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
:dunno I'd go with yer.. "If it needs to be replaced, up-grade it" idea.

A GPR38, Ball Bearing Turbo really pumps up a 7.3 ... without Over Do'n it.

Jus' my .03

Joe

Yea thats what I am probably goin to do. Def dont want to do this again. Im leanin towards the 38r BUT my friend is sayin that the High Tech Turbo would also be good. Its not a ball bearing turbo but still a great turbo. I believe its the same size as the 38r. Hes a big diesel guy (mainly cummins) but knows alot about upgrading. He likes the HTT so been lookin into that as well. Been lookin at injectors too. Should I do stage one or stage twos? Might as well upgrade those too since im there. I see you got a 6.7 Joe! When you get that and how do you like it?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea thats what I am probably goin to do. Def dont want to do this again. Im leanin towards the 38r BUT my friend is sayin that the High Tech Turbo would also be good. Its not a ball bearing turbo but still a great turbo. I believe its the same size as the 38r. Hes a big diesel guy (mainly cummins) but knows alot about upgrading. He likes the HTT so been lookin into that as well. Been lookin at injectors too. Should I do stage one or stage twos? Might as well upgrade those too since im there. I see you got a 6.7 Joe! When you get that and how do you like it?

Good call on the upgrades. Yul' like it.

I bought a new 2012 in Jan of 13. I REALLY like the 6.7. Plenty of power, and all the bells'n whistles the Ultimate Lariat had to offer.. I'll be posting up some pic's here soon.