No boost problem

rockman18

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello from Northern IL, I'm looking to buy a truck to pull my 35' fifth wheel and have been looking at a lot of super duty's lately. I just found an 08 that has 230k on it and it says that the turbos have been recently rebuilt but now it's not producing any boost. I'm not familiar with diesels or turbos and am not sure if this is something that will most likely be a very in depth or expensive fix or a relatively easy project to get a good deal on the truck. I am currently about 700 miles away from home for work with almost no tools to speak of so that might also be a make or break issue. Thanks for any help that you can give a new guy.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Stay away! You don't have the knowlege or the tools. This could be a disaster even if you were at home. By the way, :welcome to Super Duty Diesel!

Dave

rockman18

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just for future knowledge what would the most likely cause be for that problem and what would the difficulty be to fix it if you had a working knowledge of turbo diesel engines

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's really only a couple of things that can cause a no boost situation. Obviously the big one is a bad turbo, but being new I'd rule that out. It is possible a pipe wasn't hooked up, but that would be noticeable because it would be loud. That leaves the blow off valve and waste gate. If either of those are stuck open then no boost will be built. I don't know the location of those so I don't know how hard it is to check either one.

This is off my knowledge of dealing with boosted vehicles for the last 8ish years. The only thing is I don't know if the BOV or wastegate is computer controlled on these trucks. On my 04 Cobra the ECU has control over the bypass valve and can limit boost until the engine is warmed up. If the ECU has this kind of control then the issue could be electronic.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your going to be puling your 35 footer a lot I would stay away from the 6.4 they are real poor on MPG when pulling.
Spend just a little more and get a nice used 2011 though 2015 Crew Cab DRW with the 6.7 Get something with a Warranty.
Welcome to SDD.com, quite a few of us pull RV in this bunch and will help you any way we can.
Doug

rockman18

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm not looking for a truck that I will be keeping long term but something for maybe a year or so until I find exactly what I want. Looking at nada the average trade in on the truck is over $18k so even if I had to put some money into it I would still be ahead. What I've heard from some guys is that it could also be the map sensor or egr valve, not sure if that's accurate or not though

adamhoude88

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Don't rule out a good low mile 6.0l truck with some work they can be great

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58