Question No Charging and strange alarm

navy444

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 1989 F250 7.3L is not charging and I figure that is the alternator. What I can't understand is a beep-beep-beep from under the hood and on the right hand fender area. When I shut off the engine, the beeping continues for about a minute, then quits. Is that asscosiated with my charging problem?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With this, and your other Post ? Not being able to hear the actual "Beep".. it's real hard to offer any solid trouble shooting hints.. other than:

Does this truck have a Battery Minder/Trickle Charger on it ? (the beep being a Low Battery alarm) (beeps until the batts go Flat/Dead.. in 2 minutes)

How old are the Battery's ? (old worn out batts could have fried the Alternator)

And.. If your not getting 14.?, but not more than 15 volts, at the Batts, when running.. with 200+ K on an OEM (if it is) Alternator.. you might just go ahead and replace the Alternator.. and see what that does for the "Beep" ?? BUT LOAD TEST BOTH BATTERYS FIRST.

Joe

Is this 89 New To You ? or owned by you since new ?

Last edited:

navy444

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Joe, thanks. I purchased it new and it has 227,000 on it. Yes, I'll deal with batteries and alternator and worry about beep after that. No trickle charger, but I charge batteries whenever I'm gong to start it. Thanks Russ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58