Help Needed No power under acceleration

TX350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just bought a used 6.4 with 24,500 miles on it. My problem is that here within the past week I have had this random problem with the truck making no power when accelerating at about 3/4 throttle. Outside conditions are about normal for Houston, 90 degrees and dry. It usually happens after about 5 minutes of driving. If you try to give the truck a lot of throttle it just revs and seems like the tranny is not transferring power to the wheels. It doesn't feel like the tranny is slipping though. More like it is trying to protect itself. I haven't seen any message on the dash saying the truck is in regen. I'm stumped.:dunno

TX350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think it should be at about normal operating temperature. I live right on the freeway so as soon as I'm out of the driveway I'm doin 65 or so. But it will continue to have the problem until I turn the truck off. But it's just random. Maybe some type of sensor that's about to go out. I have it at the dealer now so I guess I'll hear something from the eventually. I didn't know if anyone has had similar problems with these new 6.4's.

TX350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, got my truck back from Von Wil Ford. Turns out it was an EGR sensor that was bad. The wife picked it up from the dealer so that's as technical as she got.

TX350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I guess it's not a coincidence. I was telling them about the forum when I dropped the truck off and how it's a great knowledge base. So I guess the checked it out. Nice enough people there.

Tim G.

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
have you had any more issues since the sensor was changed out. sounds like i have the same problem. been to the dealership 2x's and got same reply. "ford is investigating this and they are not allowed to repair it at this time." do you know if other repairs was made at that time?

TX350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That was the only thing that got replaced and it has been fine since then. It didn't take them long to figure out what it was. The dealer I took it to is in a pretty rural area and diesel truck are a lot of what they work on. I would definitely think it helps to have a good experienced diesel tech.

Tim G.

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks, kinda stuck though. the dealership wont make any repairs until headquarters "allows" them to. must be a big problem? my brother and also a friend of mine both have a new dodge and have experienced the same thing as well. their sensors went out and broke their turbo's. dodge replaced the turbo and changed the sensor. the corrective action taken was putting heat wrapping material on the exaust to build more heat to burn off the soot that builds up around the sensor. i think all this is due to the new "cleaner diesels" thanks again............

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58