Help Needed No start when cold

emh3090

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok I need a little help.... I have a 05' 6.0 w/ 54,000 miles on it. I just did my first oil change since I have had the truck. I was running Rotella 15W40 with a wix filter and went to a Goodrich filter with Mobil Delvac 15W40, since this is what we use in our trucks at work. I had no issues of no start in cold weather prior to changing the oil. Now, if the truck sits for extended time in temps around 40 degrees, the engine will not start. If I plug the block heater in and let it warm up for about an hour, the truck will start fine and run normal after warming up. Is this most likely a result of using a thicker oil than the synthetic Rotella causing the stiction issue with the injectors? I am headed out of town this week and am thinking I will change the oil back to rotella with the wix filter since that was working to begin with. Any suggestions?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lota back & forth on here for years on this.. 5w40 seems to fix a lot of PSD Cold Start issues. The use of the Block Heater.. Lowering the Viscosity of the 15w40.. kinda sez something ??

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Definitely try Rotella 4W40 oil. Joe is right on with his advice of 5W40 oil. Many people here and other forums have trouble starting the 6.0 in cold weather using 15W40. I switched when my truck got the romps after a cool start. The 5W40 made all the difference in the world. ;tu

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walmart has good prices on Rotella 5W40 oil in gallon jugs.

Dave ;tu

Yep.. and if your going to go with the Rotella.. Rotella T6 5w40 Full Synthetic.. is what yer looking for. Motorcraft oil filters are usually a bit cheaper at Wally World too.

Joe

emh3090

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well here is a little follow up. I went back with what was working to begin with, Rotella 15W40. My truck started right up this morning but was kicking and sputtering for about 10 seconds until it leveld off an ran smooth. I figure it will take a couple of days for the injectors to loosen up and be back to normal. Headed in the right direction though. Thanks for all the input guys!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What you have now is the "romps". They will go away as the oil looses viscosity. Shearing causes the oil to break down slowly. So what you will have is essentially 5W40 oil. I don't see that you tried 5W40 oil. Did you?

Dave :dunno

emh3090

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I did not try it just because I had no problems with the 15W40 Rotella at all prior to switching to the Mobil Delvac. If this does not cause the romps to go away, I will go down to the 5W40 and be done with it. At least the engine started this morning. LOL

emh3090

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I did not try it just because I had no problems with the 15W40 Rotella at all prior to switching to the Mobil Delvac. If this does not cause the romps to go away, I will go down to the 5W40 and be done with it. At least the engine started this morning. LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track