Help Needed Not running to run when cold

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not running when cold

As some of you know, I just replaced the EGR Cooler and oil cooler as well as cleaned the turbo and replaced the glow plug harness on the driver's side.

The engine will not run when it is cold. Thursday night when I got it all put back together, it would not start as the batteries seemed to be weak after trying to crank and glow for a few times. I charged the batteries all night and plugged the truck in to warm the engine up. It was about 50 degrees outside. The next day, Friday around noon, the truck fired and ran fine the first time I tried to start it. It ran fine the rest of friday and Friday night when I parked it in the driveway if was working fine.

Saturday morning it would crank and fire but would not run. I did this about 5 times and it would not start. Not wanting to drain the batteriesany further I decided to warm the engine so I plugged the truck in while I carried the family to the movies. When I got home the plug I was plugged into was not working so no warmed up truck. Tried to start it and it did the same crank, fire and not stay running. I decided I would charge the batteries overnight just to make sure thbatteries were fully charged.

This morning, Sunday, I tried to start the truck with fully charged batteries on a cold engine. It did the same crank, fire, and not run. Knowing the batteries were fully charged, I decided to plugg the heater in and try something. I let it warm up while I went to church and around 12:15, after about a 3.5 hour warmup, it cranked fired and ran on the first try just like it did on Friday.

I have driven the truck all this afternoon and evening with no starting problems whatsoever. I did go by Autozone to see if any codes were there and this is what was found:

Code P0603, P0611, P0264, P2614, P0404

I have the printout for each of these codes and the probable cause on each. None of these codes seems to match what my problem may be. Autozone cleared the codes and said drive it and see if they come back. It did not say if the codes were stored from before I owrk on the truck or since the work was done on the truck. I did removed the batteries from the truck for about 4 weeks while I worked on the truck.

The problem seems to be a cold or hot issue. Won't run cold but will run when hot. That would seem to be some type of sensor to me. Any Educated ideas or experience in this situation?

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe go back and check All the Temp and Pressure sensor connections ?

Some [Warm] sensor data will over-ride [Cold], or No data, to the ECM/PCM. Maybe thats why it will Start & Run when warmed up some ??

Make any sense ?

Joe

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can go check the sensors that I have messed with which are as follows:

Sensor on the flexible air duct
Sensor on the intake manifold
Sensor on the fan shroud
Sensor on the butterfly valve charge pipe
Sensor at the thermostat
I replaced the MAP Sensor
Glow plug harness DS connector
Turbo Connector
EGR valve connector

I think that is all that I messed with during the work. Tell me if you know of others that I would have had to undo or mess with in any way?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd re-check all of those and.. give EVERY connector you can find.. a wiggle check. You may have bumped/pulled something loose without knowing it. (DTC's can be caused by a sensor, or sensors that collectivly cause codes to be set..).

Joe

FWIW ? I don't trust AutoZone for scanning a PSD.

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your saying that it would kick off, but not catch so to speak, it sounds like the FICM to me. Been there, done that with both trucks. Plugged in, they would start fine, unplugged, would take for ever to start.

B

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I paid around $800.00for a Ford New FICM a few years ago. If I was to do it today I would try http://ficmrepair.com/. I have nothing to do with them so I am not selling them. There are several others. Google "Ford FICM repairs".

Dave

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swamps is $425 ASI is $62 (includes shipping both ways) and FICMrepair is $195. I dont know how ASI can make any money at their price so Im a little dubious about them. Swamps is too expensive and I talked with Ed at FICMrepair. He seems to know what he is talking about. Im sending it to Ed.Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr